all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* EPA and Tramp writing out a buffer
@ 2012-07-19 22:55 Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-07-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I want some lisp code to not ask me which key to
use when saving it's data buffer via Tramp and Epa.

As the data is generated in a temp buffer and written the
"epa-file-encrypt-to" variable has not been read in from the header of the
file (wot I normally do).  And this variable seems somehow a protected
local thingy...which I can't seem to set?

Is this possible?  What can I do instead?

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Matt

* Re: EPA and Tramp writing out a buffer
@ 2012-07-20 10:00 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-07-20 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ford; +Cc: emacs-devel

Matt Ford <matt@dancingfrog.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I want some lisp code to not ask me which key to
> use when saving it's data buffer via Tramp and Epa.
>
> As the data is generated in a temp buffer and written the
> "epa-file-encrypt-to" variable has not been read in from the header of the
> file (wot I normally do).  And this variable seems somehow a protected
> local thingy...which I can't seem to set?
>
> Is this possible?  What can I do instead?

I'm not an EPA user, so I don't know an answer (yet). Could you send me
an example file which looks like the one you use? I would play with it
then.

> Thanks for any pointers.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: EPA and Tramp writing out a buffer
@ 2012-07-20 16:23   ` Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-07-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

Not sure about an example file.  Here's what happens

(with-temp-file "/ssh:home:lesync/test.gpg"
  (progn
    (print "Hello")
    (print " world!")
    ))

With EPA and tramp I'm now prompted for a key - and I wish to specify it
before hand.  Just can't see how to do it for generated content like
this.  Feels like it should be easy...

--

@ 2012-07-21 14:16     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-07-21 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ford; +Cc: emacs-devel

Matt Ford <matt@dancingfrog.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Matt,

> Not sure about an example file.  Here's what happens
>
> (with-temp-file "/ssh:home:lesync/test.gpg"
>   (progn
>     (print "Hello")
>     (print " world!")
>     ))
>
> With EPA and tramp I'm now prompted for a key - and I wish to specify it
> before hand.  Just can't see how to do it for generated content like
> this.  Feels like it should be easy...

That is not the use case you have mentioned initially. You said, that
you have set some local variables in your file, which were not applied
because Tramp has written a temporary file.

I believe such an example of a file with local variables would be
helpful.

If Tramp bothers you again and again with password requests (not related
to EPA), you might check

  (info "(tramp)Password handling")

> Matt

Best regards, Michael.