all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I made ispell more smarter for some code blocks?
@ 2013-05-15  9:13 Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-15  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

   I use aspell for spell-check when I writing notes with markdown/org
   or simple emails. What annoys me that it just checks too
   much. For instance, it even checks the content inside code-blocks in
   org mode, which is false positive terminologically. So is there way
   to make it smarter?

Thanks,
Hongxu Chen

* Re: How can I made ispell more smarter for some code blocks?
@ 2013-05-15 13:51 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-05-15 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongxu Chen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongxu Chen [2013-05-15 17:13:17 +08:00] wrote:

> I use aspell for spell-check when I writing notes with markdown/org or
> simple emails. What annoys me that it just checks too much. For
> instance, it even checks the content inside code-blocks in org mode,
> which is false positive terminologically. So is there way to make it
> smarter?

This is an advertisement.

I wanted a smarter and faster spelling checker, so I ended up
implementing wcheck-mode:

https://github.com/tlikonen/wcheck-mode

(Also through Marmalade.)

But wcheck-mode doesn't work well with aspell because aspell buffers its
output. Wcheck-mode works with anything that works line-wise through
standard input and output. Sorry. You could use Enchant as a wrapper for
other spelling checkers.

Wcheck-mode checks only visible text area, that is, no text outside
windows and no invisible text. You can also configure which "faces" it
checks and which ones it skips.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: How can I made ispell more smarter for some code blocks?
@ 2013-05-15 14:55   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-05-15 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> Hongxu Chen [2013-05-15 17:13:17 +08:00] wrote:
>
>> I use aspell for spell-check when I writing notes with markdown/org or
>> simple emails. What annoys me that it just checks too much. For
>> instance, it even checks the content inside code-blocks in org mode,
>> which is false positive terminologically. So is there way to make it
>> smarter?
>
> This is an advertisement.
>
> I wanted a smarter and faster spelling checker, so I ended up
> implementing wcheck-mode:

I only use wcheck these days, and I can quickly switch between
different dictionaries.  I don't know if you could tell wcheck to
ignore stuff wrapped inside

#+BEGIN_SRC something ...
... <to be ignored by wcheck> ...
#+END_SRC

but I guess it would be possible through regexps.  Possibly, you could
even use org-mode's own regexps.

–Rasmus

--
This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put

* Re: How can I made ispell more smarter for some code blocks?
@ 2013-05-15 15:01   ` Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-15 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your introduction. I took a glimpse at the project and found
that the inline docs and README is wonderful, so I also believe this is
a fabulous tool. But I feel that it might not meet my needs and seems
that configuration is a bit difficult due to its flexibility.
But I might have a try.

Many thanks!
Hongxu Chen

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> Hongxu Chen [2013-05-15 17:13:17 +08:00] wrote:
>
>> I use aspell for spell-check when I writing notes with markdown/org or
>> simple emails. What annoys me that it just checks too much. For
>> instance, it even checks the content inside code-blocks in org mode,
>> which is false positive terminologically. So is there way to make it
>> smarter?
>
> This is an advertisement.
>
> I wanted a smarter and faster spelling checker, so I ended up
> implementing wcheck-mode:
>
> https://github.com/tlikonen/wcheck-mode
>
> (Also through Marmalade.)
>
> But wcheck-mode doesn't work well with aspell because aspell buffers its
> output. Wcheck-mode works with anything that works line-wise through
> standard input and output. Sorry. You could use Enchant as a wrapper for
> other spelling checkers.
>
> Wcheck-mode checks only visible text area, that is, no text outside
> windows and no invisible text. You can also configure which "faces" it
> checks and which ones it skips.

--
Regards,

@ 2013-05-15 15:03     ` Teemu Likonen