all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to achieve desired automatic scrolling behavior
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 21:06:36 +0200	[thread overview]

Javier <nospam@nospam.com> writes:

> I don't understand exactly what kind of behavoiur you want

Me neither, maybe you (the OP) could describe it once more?

> but here's what is in my .emacs to scroll line by line when I am in
> the top/bootm of the screen and press arrow up/down:

Why not scroll with point, with C-p and C-n? That way, you won't have
to reach for the arrow keys, and then back again, to get back to
typing. Hit C-l (sometimes more than once) to get to the window
fringe, the scroll.

Scrolling without moving point is sometimes useful, but even then, in
my mind, no shortcuts should be disruptive to typing. Never leave F
and J!

Also, lots of scrolling (particularly of source code) could be
replaced by searching. Searching is called "search" (with various
modifiers attached), but as for my usage, I would rather call it
"navigate".

> ; scroll line by line
> (progn (setq scroll-step 1)
>        (setq scroll-preserve-screen-position t)
>        (setq scroll-conservatively 9999))

OK, here goes "mine" as well, for civilized scrolling (as someone
said, and I agree) -

(setq scroll-step 1)
(setq scroll-conservatively 10000)
(setq auto-window-vscroll nil)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573