all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and tmux & the echo area (on Unix & Linux SX)
@ 2013-07-21 14:28 Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <mailman.1512.1374426988.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If you have been active on the SX sites, you know they have a
"reputation" system.

You can use you own reputation to boost questions that you ask, in
order to attract solutions (the so called "bounties" will then be
rewarded to user that provided the best solution).

I'm not using those sites anymore, so I decided to spend all my
reputation to possibly get some answers before I leave those sites
permanently.

Those bounties expire, so I thought I'd tell you - if you want to
earn some reputation, submit an answer to any of the questions
below: they are Emacs related.

If you don't care for reputation, or aren't even a user of those
sites, but still know the answer(s), feel free to answer here.

The URLs hint as to the questions asked.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/67115/emacs-mute-messages-echo-area
 http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/82826/linux-vt-emacs-in-tmux-breaks-color-and-cursor

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* RE: Emacs and tmux & the echo area (on Unix & Linux SX)
@ 2013-07-21 17:16 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.1512.1374426988.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-07-21 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/67115/emacs-mute-messages-echo-area

Binding `message-log-max' to nil suppresses messages for the duration of the (dynamic) binding.

Binding `echo-keystrokes' to 0 suppresses echoing of keystrokes.

(It's better communication to explicitly post your question here (too), not
just give a URL.)

@ 2013-07-21 19:16   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1520.1374437704.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Binding `message-log-max' to nil suppresses messages ...

Yes, excellent!

(defun test-suppress-msgs ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((log-size message-log-max))
    (setq message-log-max nil)
    (message "This message is suppressed.")
    (setq message-log-max log-size)
    (message "This is echoed, and logged.") ))

I'll post this solution right now, as I take it you won't, but I
will mention gnu.emacs.help.

--

@ 2013-07-21 19:45     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1520.1374437704.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-07-21 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

> > Binding `message-log-max' to nil suppresses messages ...
>
> Yes, excellent!
>
> I'll post this solution right now, as I take it you won't, but I
> will mention gnu.emacs.help.

I already posted it.  (Or at least I think I did.  I received a mail
asking me to sign up, create a password, etc., but that I did not
do.)

@ 2013-07-21 20:46       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-21 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I already posted it.  (Or at least I think I did.  I received a
> mail asking me to sign up, create a password, etc., but that I
> did not do.)

Yes, I saw it, and I accepted the answer, including awarding you
the bonus (and upvoting). So I think you just had a rocket career
start, if you were to pick up on using those sites :) But I don't
like them anymore, so I don't really know if that's something that
I could recommend.