all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell-CLI for Emacs
@ 2013-08-23 20:46 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-08-23 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have done some experimentation on the "Emacs-shell-CLI" I've
been thinking about (as opposed to the current "M-x-CLI").

I would be very happy if you offered your comments on this idea
(and code).

To try out the below code:

1. Hit M-i to bring up the prompt string.
2. Type "man emacs".
3. Hit RET.

(defun string-to-cmd (str)
  (interactive "s $> ")
  (let*((cmd-and-args (split-string str " "))
        (cmd  (car cmd-and-args))
        (args (cdr cmd-and-args)))
    (eval `(,(read cmd) ,@args) )))
(define-key (current-global-map) (kbd "M-i") 'string-to-cmd)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: shell-CLI for Emacs
@ 2013-08-23 22:02 Barry OReilly
From: Barry OReilly @ 2013-08-23 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (defun string-to-cmd (str)
>   (interactive "s $> ")
>   (let*((cmd-and-args (split-string str " "))
>         (cmd  (car cmd-and-args))
>         (args (cdr cmd-and-args)))
>     (eval `(,(read cmd) ,@args) )))

Clearer than (eval `(,(read cmd) ,@args) ) is (apply (read cmd) args)

* Re: shell-CLI for Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.664.1377295372.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-08-23 22:42 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.670.1377304488.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-08-23 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry OReilly <gundaetiapo@gmail.com> writes:

> Clearer than (eval `(,(read cmd) ,@args) ) is (apply (read cmd)
> args)

Absolutely! I didn't know of apply.

I realized a major problem with the interface is that a lot of
commands act differently depending on if there is a region or
not. An example is replace-string. With the function in the OP,
the region is ignored! Very confusing, as intuitively, once set,
you expect it to delimit the search-and-replace.

I worked around that with an, eh, interface to replace-string.

But that's getting tedious if it has to be done for a lot of
functions...

(defun rs (from to)
  (interactive)
  (let*((scope (if mark-active
                   (list (region-beginning) (region-end))
                   (list (point-min) (point-max)) ))
        (start (car   scope))
        (end   (nth 1 scope)) )
  (save-excursion
    (replace-string from to t start end) )))

--

@ 2013-08-24  0:37   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.670.1377304488.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2013-08-24  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
() Sat, 24 Aug 2013 00:42:50 +0200

   But that's getting tedious if it has to be done for a lot of
   functions...

Maybe you can play w/ ‘call-interactively’ and ‘unread-command-events’.
Split the line as before but instead of ‘apply’ing the command to the
args, push the args (character by character, in reverse order) onto
‘unread-command-events’, preceding each arg (set) with ‘C-j’ (newline).
Here's a test command:

 (defun zow (string symbol number)
   (interactive "sString: \nSSymbol: \nnNumber: ")
   (message "got: %S" (list string symbol number)))

Invoked like:

 zow not quite 42

it should display:

 got: ("not" quite 42)

in the echo area.  Of course, this technique loses w/ certain (stealthy)
‘interactive’ specs, regions, stateful (history var) defaults, args that
include a space, etc, but it might be fun to try, anyway.  That's the
primary benefit of all DWIM hacking, after all, for both you and Emacs!

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

* Re: shell-CLI for Emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.670.1377304488.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-08-24  3:30     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-08-24  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe you can play w/ ‘call-interactively’ and
> ‘unread-command-events’.  Split the line as before but instead
> of ‘apply’ing the command to the args, push the args (character
> by character, in reverse order) onto ‘unread-command-events’,
> preceding each arg (set) with ‘C-j’ (newline).

Yes... that was a good idea. Impressive to say the least.

(require 'cl)
(defvar *ps* " $> ")

(defun string-to-cmd (str)
  (interactive (list (read-string *ps*)))
  (let*((cmd-and-args (split-string str " "))
        (cmd  (read (car cmd-and-args)))
        (args (cdr cmd-and-args)))
    (dolist (arg (nreverse args))
      (push 10 unread-command-events)
      (dolist (n (reverse (string-to-list arg)))
        (push n unread-command-events) ))
    (call-interactively cmd) ))
(define-key (current-global-map) (kbd "M-i") 'string-to-cmd)

Works for your zow test function, 'man emacs', and you don't have
to rewrite replace-string.

--

@ 2013-08-26  0:56     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-08-26  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> writes:

> Of course, this technique loses w/ certain (stealthy)
> ‘interactive’ specs ‘interactive’ specs, regions ...

replace-string works with and without a region, when I did exactly
as you told me. But perhaps there is more to regions?

> stateful (history var) defaults

What's that? :)

> args that include a space

I got that solved. Now,

replace-string 'Hello all!' 'Dear all,'

works.

The code [1] got somewhat complicated...

> That's the primary benefit of all DWIM hacking, after all, for
> both you and Emacs!

DWIM, is that what I'm doing? Why did you say that? I'm to read
the Wikipedia article tonight - never heard of it, but intuitively
I like it.

Some people take pride in memorizing and understanding complex
command, drawing oh's and ah's from the crowd: what wizardry! I
think that's just silly. In a nutshell, this is what my system
looks like:

add_dic () { sudo tar -xvjf $1 -C /usr/share/stardict/dic; }

That's why Captain Picard say "Engage!", and not "Set the
thrusters to blaha blaha, align the ship to etc. etc., then..."

(Perhaps that's unrelated to DWIM.)

[1]

(require 'cl)
(defvar *ps* " $> ")

(defun string-to-cmd (str)
  (interactive (list (read-string *ps*)))
  (let*((cmd  (read (car (split-string str " "))))
        (args (cdr (make-arg-list (string-to-list str)))) )
    (dolist (arg (nreverse args))
      (push 13 unread-command-events) ; 13 is RET
      (dolist (n (reverse (string-to-list arg)))
        (push n unread-command-events) ))
    (call-interactively cmd) ))
(define-key (current-global-map) (kbd "M-i") 'string-to-cmd)

(defun make-arg-list (chars)
  (interactive)
  (if chars
      (let ((WS  39) ; whitespace ( )
            (SQM 32) ;      quote (')
            (c  (car chars))
            (cs (cdr chars)) )
        (if (eq c WS) (make-word cs '() WS)
          (if (eq c SQM) (make-arg-list cs)
            (make-word chars '() SQM)) ))
  '() ))

(defun make-word (chars wd sep)
  (interactive)
  (if chars
      (let ((c  (car chars))
            (cs (cdr chars)))
        (if (eq c sep) (cons wd (make-arg-list cs))
          (make-word cs (append wd (list c)) sep)))
    (list wd) ))

--

@ 2013-08-26  4:03       ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2013-08-26  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

>> That's the primary benefit of all DWIM hacking, after all, for
>> both you and Emacs!
>
> DWIM, is that what I'm doing? Why did you say that? I'm to read
> the Wikipedia article tonight - never heard of it, but intuitively
> I like it.
>
> add_dic () { sudo tar -xvjf $1 -C /usr/share/stardict/dic; }

What you are doing here is just programming: replacing a long precise
command with a shorter but still precise command.

DWIM is a technique of replacing a precise command with one that is in
some way imprecise. You misspell a command, something behind the
scenes corrects it for you (seen in zsh). You don’t specify a
parameter, it picks a default that is sensible for some people in some
cases, but not universally (e.g. git push).

You should be reading not Wikipedia but The Jargon File:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/D/DWIM.html . It explains well
why one man’s Do What I Mean is another’s Damn Warren’s Infernal
Machine.

* Re: shell-CLI for Emacs
@ 2013-08-26  5:38       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2013-08-26  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)