all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#15371: 24.3.50; Index the `default' face in Elisp manual
@ 2013-09-13 16:42 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-09-13 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 15371

1. Subject line says it all.  Please index face `default'.  It is the
most important face, and the default face is an important concept when
trying to understand faces in general.

2. There are also buffer-local displays of face `default'.  These too
should be indexed.

3. This text in node `Face Remapping' is misleading, and should be fixed:

  ";; Increase the size of the `default' face by 50%:"

The size of the face is not increased at all here.  All that is happening
is face remapping, so face `default' gets displayed larger in the current
buffer.  The face itself is a global thing, and its size is not changed
by this operation.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-08-31 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 114088 rgm@gnu.org-20130901021232-sazo0qla2qgcko95
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'

* bug#15371: 24.3.50; Index the `default' face in Elisp manual
@ 2014-02-08  4:27 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-02-08  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 15371

> 1. Subject line says it all.  Please index face `default'.  It is the
> most important face, and the default face is an important concept when
> trying to understand faces in general.

I don't think that sounds very useful.  I can't imagine anybody going to
the index to look up "default".

* bug#15371: 24.3.50; Index the `default' face in Elisp manual
@ 2014-02-09 23:05   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-02-09 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 15371

> > 1. Subject line says it all.  Please index face `default'.  It is
> > the most important face, and the default face is an important
> > concept when trying to understand faces in general.
>
> I don't think that sounds very useful.  I can't imagine anybody
> going to the index to look up "default".

Read the report.  They would be going to look up "default face",
not "default".

You cannot imagine much, it seems.  You also could not imagine
that any code outside the distributed Emacs code would ever
make use of `read-face-name'.

Face `default' is an important Emacs concept.  It is "unimaginable"
that it not be indexed.