all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23 conversion - headers fail
@ 2014-07-25 19:29 Charles Petrie
From: Charles Petrie @ 2014-07-25 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I’m going from a previous version to 23. The conversion to mbox seems
fine. Except: no headers will display. Instead there is an error message
that ‘ Search failed: “ “ ‘ A lot of other stuff doesn’t work as well,
but this is critical. Any clues please?

Thanks,
 Charles Petrie
--
http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/~petrie

* Re: emacs 23 conversion - headers fail
       [not found] <mailman.6030.1406319885.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-07-25 21:28 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Charles Petrie <petrie@cdr.stanford.edu> writes:

> I’m going from a previous version to 23. The
> conversion to mbox seems fine. Except: no headers
> will display. Instead there is an error message that
> ‘ Search failed: “ “ ‘ A lot of other stuff doesn’t
> work as well, but this is critical. Any clues please?

No - actually this reminds me of the 90s hit movie with
Alicia Silverstone, "Clueless".

Why do you want to use Emacs 23, isn't 24 the most
recent?

What do you mean by "conversion"? What OS do you use?
Did you install Emacs with a package manager, e.g.,
aptitude, apt-get, or yum?

What is it you try to do with mbox? What command do you
give to get the error message?

What do you mean a lot of other stuff doesn't work?
Everything should work. Or do you have configuration
and such part of which doesn't work with the new
version? Actually that shouldn't happen either, at
least not "a lot".

If you describe what your situation is and what you try
to do that'll be a start.

--
underground experts united

* Re: emacs 23 conversion - headers fail
@ 2014-07-26  2:05 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-07-26  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: petrie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Charles Petrie <petrie@cdr.stanford.edu> writes:

> I’m going from a previous version to 23. The conversion to mbox seems
> fine. Except: no headers will display. Instead there is an error message
> that ‘ Search failed: “ “ ‘ A lot of other stuff doesn’t work as well,
> but this is critical. Any clues please?

Are you trying to convert RMAIL mailboxes in BABYL format into MBOX
format?  If so you should say.

BR,
Robert Thorpe