all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Programming starting Lisp
@ 2014-08-12  5:27 Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-08-12  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am collecting material on univs starting programming with functional programming:
http://blog.languager.org/2014/08/universities-starting-functional.html

I am sure that more places are using Lisp... cant seem to find much.

If anyone knows any, in particular non-scheme lisp usage in programming education, please let me know.

* Re: Programming starting Lisp
@ 2014-08-12 16:46 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I am collecting material on univs starting
> programming with functional programming:

> I am sure that more places are using Lisp... cant
> seem to find much.
>
> If anyone knows any, in particular non-scheme lisp
> usage in programming education, please let me know.

I have said a couple of times that I don't believe in
paradigms that much. If you tell your students that
paradigms are models to enhance our understanding, not
rules what to do, and certainly not descriptions of
technology (just think of C and Lisp, with which you
can do anything and everything, in whatever style) - if
you promise that, ..., no, you don't need to promise
that, I'll answer anyway:

Yes, I did Lisp, Erlang and Haskell in a course called
"Advanced functional programming" at Uppsala
University, Sweden. But in the CS program there were
many courses that included functional programming in
one way or another: SML was the first language I did at
the university, I did more Erlang on distributed
systems because of modularity/concurrency, etc. As for
Lisp in particular, I don't remember that from any
other course.

The Lisp we did was Common Lisp. I still have the
configuration I did to Emacs to do that:

(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/sbcl --noinform")

sbcl is "Steel Bank Common Lisp", probably some remnant
of the Lispic wars when there were so much sweet Lisp
around in different flavors.

One of the books we read (and the only one I remember)
was "Land of Lisp", which was very good. I still use
the style with parenthesis like they did in that book:

(setq load-path
      (cl-concatenate 'list load-path
                      '("~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/"
                        "~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/w3m/"
                        "~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/gnus/") ))

Here are the notes I took on that course with respect
to CL:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/common_lisp/intro.l

I haven't touched it in all those years (never look
back), but I passed the course, so it should be mostly
correct.

Good luck!

--
underground experts united

* Re: Programming starting Lisp
@ 2014-08-12 17:53   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-08-12 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:16:39 PM UTC+5:30, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Rusi writes:

> > I am collecting material on univs starting
> > programming with functional programming:
> > I am sure that more places are using Lisp... cant
> > seem to find much.
> > If anyone knows any, in particular non-scheme lisp
> > usage in programming education, please let me know.

> I have said a couple of times that I don't believe in
> paradigms that much. If you tell your students that
> paradigms are models to enhance our understanding, not
> rules what to do, and certainly not descriptions of
> technology (just think of C and Lisp, with which you
> can do anything and everything, in whatever style) - if
> you promise that, ..., no, you don't need to promise
> that, I'll answer anyway:

> Yes, I did Lisp, Erlang and Haskell in a course called
> "Advanced functional programming" at Uppsala
> University, Sweden. But in the CS program there were
> many courses that included functional programming in
> one way or another: SML was the first language I did at
> the university, I did more Erlang on distributed
> systems because of modularity/concurrency, etc. As for
> Lisp in particular, I don't remember that from any
> other course.

> The Lisp we did was Common Lisp. I still have the
> configuration I did to Emacs to do that:

> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/sbcl --noinform")

> sbcl is "Steel Bank Common Lisp", probably some remnant
> of the Lispic wars when there were so much sweet Lisp
> around in different flavors.

> One of the books we read (and the only one I remember)
> was "Land of Lisp", which was very good. I still use
> the style with parenthesis like they did in that book:

> (setq load-path
>       (cl-concatenate 'list load-path
>                       '("~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/"
>                         "~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/w3m/"
>                         "~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/gnus/") ))

> Here are the notes I took on that course with respect
> to CL:

> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/common_lisp/intro.l

> I haven't touched it in all those years (never look
> back), but I passed the course, so it should be mostly
> correct.

Thanks Emanuel for the data
Uppsala occured a couple of times.
However I cant find anything like a syllabus I can point to.

Do you know of one?

In particular if there is something in Swedish and google-translate does
a half-decent job of translating it, that'd be useful

* Re: Programming starting Lisp
@ 2014-08-12 18:13     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-12 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Emanuel for the data Uppsala occured a couple
> of times. However I cant find anything like a
> syllabus I can point to.
>
> Do you know of one?
>
> In particular if there is something in Swedish and
> google-translate does a half-decent job of
> translating it, that'd be useful

Swedish! :) Dream on, pal...

The slides and assignments and books and everything is
in English. Otherwise, the Indian and Chinese would be
even more owned by the Swedish hackers :)

The notes on CL should reflect the material code-wise,
though (as for the Lisp part).

Google for Uppsala University, Computer Science (or
perhaps Information Technology), and Advanced
Functional Programming.

If you still can't find it I'll see if I have it
bookmarked somewhere.

--
underground experts united