Emanuel Berg writes: > Question: Is there anyone who succeeded or saw > a solution that had the selection keys changed - > I don't want to reach for the number keys, I want the > first suggestion to be (a), then (s), (d), and (f), > and/or likewise instantly available keys. It shouldn't > be in alphabetic or numerical order (IMHO) it should > be in the order of closeness which is a function of > where they keys are on the keyboard. This is one of > very, very few things I didn't succeed in getting the > way I want with all of Emacs, Gnus, w3m etc. so if > anyone has a solution I would readily let go of > "100" of my hard-earned reputation. > No fingers crossed! The selection itself should be possible to achieve with avy.el (https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/avy.html). It extends to as many candidates as you can fit on a screen, and the decision chars are composed of a user-defined set, e.g. "a", "s", "d", "fa", "fs", "fd". A screenshot of using `avy-goto-word-0' on a buffer of German words: