all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#18018: 24.4.50; (emacs) `Special Isearch'
@ 2014-07-14 16:06 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-07-14 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18018

The node says this about case-sensitivity:

   If the search string you entered contains only lower-case letters,
  the search is case-insensitive; as long as an upper-case letter exists
  in the search string, the search becomes case-sensitive.  If you delete
  the upper-case character from the search string, it ceases to have this
  effect.  *Note Search Case::.

This is false.  This is only the _default_ behavior, i.e., the behavior
you get with the default value of `case-fold-search' (non-nil).  This is
a fine place to mention user option `case-fold-search' and point out
that IF its value is non-nil THEN... (this is the behavior you get).

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-06-28 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 117431 rgm@gnu.org-20140628015517-eku6hj8mpgcvfnso
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include''

* bug#18018: 24.4.50; (emacs) `Special Isearch'
@ 2016-04-29 21:56 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-04-29 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 18018

> The node says this about case-sensitivity:
>
>    If the search string you entered contains only lower-case letters,
>   the search is case-insensitive; as long as an upper-case letter exists
>   in the search string, the search becomes case-sensitive.  If you delete
>   the upper-case character from the search string, it ceases to have this
>   effect.  *Note Search Case::.
>
> This is false.  This is only the _default_ behavior, i.e., the behavior
> you get with the default value of `case-fold-search' (non-nil).  This is
> a fine place to mention user option `case-fold-search' and point out
> that IF its value is non-nil THEN... (this is the behavior you get).

This seems like it's been fixed since the bug report was filed.

* bug#18018: 24.4.50; (emacs) `Special Isearch'
@ 2016-04-29 22:41   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-04-29 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 18018

> > The node says this about case-sensitivity:
> >
> >    If the search string you entered contains only lower-case letters,
> >   the search is case-insensitive; as long as an upper-case letter exists
> >   in the search string, the search becomes case-sensitive.  If you
> >   delete the upper-case character from the search string, it ceases to
> >   have this effect.  *Note Search Case::.
> >
> > This is false.  This is only the _default_ behavior, i.e., the behavior
> > you get with the default value of `case-fold-search' (non-nil).  This is
> > a fine place to mention user option `case-fold-search' and point out
> > that IF its value is non-nil THEN... (this is the behavior you get).
>
> This seems like it's been fixed since the bug report was filed.

Really?  I don't have a build more recent than 2015-12-10, but in that
build, at least, the identical text is still there, and I see nothing
added about this being only the default behavior or about
`case-fold-search'.

But if this was really fixed, great.

* bug#18018: 24.4.50; (emacs) `Special Isearch'
@ 2016-04-30 23:12     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-04-30 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 18018, Lars Ingebrigtsen

> Really?  I don't have a build more recent than 2015-12-10, but in that
> build, at least, the identical text is still there, and I see nothing
> added about this being only the default behavior or about
> `case-fold-search'.
>
> But if this was really fixed, great.

Seems this has been fixed when the new char folding stuff has been
integrated.  Now the relevant text is in (info "(emacs) Lax Search") and
reads like:

   Searches in Emacs by default ignore the case of the text they are
searching through, if you specify the search string in lower case.
Thus, if you specify searching for ‘foo’, then ‘Foo’ and ‘foo’ also
match.  Regexps, and in particular character sets, behave likewise:
‘[ab]’ matches ‘a’ or ‘A’ or ‘b’ or ‘B’.  This feature is known as “case
folding”, and it is supported in both incremental and non-incremental
search modes.

   An upper-case letter anywhere in the search string makes the search
case-sensitive.  Thus, searching for ‘Foo’ does not find ‘foo’ or ‘FOO’.
This applies to regular expression search as well as to literal string
search.  The effect ceases if you delete the upper-case letter from the
search string.  The variable ‘search-upper-case’ controls this: if it is
non-‘nil’ (the default), an upper-case character in the search string
make the search case-sensitive; setting it to ‘nil’ disables this effect
of upper-case characters.

   If you set the variable ‘case-fold-search’ to ‘nil’, then all letters
must match exactly, including case.  This is a per-buffer variable;
altering the variable normally affects only the current buffer, unless
you change its default value.  *Note Locals::.  This variable applies to
nonincremental searches also, including those performed by the replace
commands (*note Replace::) and the minibuffer history matching commands
(*note Minibuffer History::).

   Typing ‘M-c’ or ‘M-s c’ (‘isearch-toggle-case-fold’) within an
incremental search toggles the case sensitivity of that search.  The
effect does not extend beyond the current incremental search, but it
does override the effect of adding or removing an upper-case letter in
the current search.

[...]

Michael.