all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [OT] What langauges have symbols?
@ 2017-06-30  4:24 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-06-30  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi there,

this is clearly OT, but where could I ask that?

What langauges besides Lisps have "symbols"?  And I not only mean the
name, of course, but also the properties.  For instance, ES6 seems to
have something similar, but it seems to me that you can't have
a variable containing a symbol and say something like
(set var val)
where val is assigned to a variable whose name is the value of var
(i.e., that symbol).

In Elisp, OTOH, you can say e.g.

(set (intern "some-string") 123)
(+ some-string 1)

and obtain 124.  My point here is that you can now use a variable called
"some-symbol" without any additional syntax sugar.  In yet another
words, we have both set and setq, whereas most languages seem to only
have an equivalent of setq.

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski