Noam Postavsky writes: [...] > Anyway, I don't think setenv should be changed, rather > abbreviate-file-name should save-match-data around the expand-file-name > call. After all, today you happened to use setenv in a hook, tomorrow > someone will use another match-data modifying function. I agree, but I also think that there is no reason for `setenv' to use `string-match' instead of `string-match-p'. It doesn't seem to be using the match data anyway. I attached the patch that replaces `string-match' with `string-match-p' in `setenv' and `setenv-internal'. WDYT ?