all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Importing an ical event to org
@ 2018-08-18 15:21 Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-08-18 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello List

I was wondering if somebody would like to share a nice method to import
an ical event. Or just share some method already available I have
missed. With some services on the web you get the option to add an event
to your calendar. One of the options might be "ical", providing an .ics
file for download. I would like to add that event as an org event in my
org file I use for events.

The kind of file I am talking about is outlined like this

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
END:VCALENDAR

Best regards
--
Tomas

* Re: Importing an ical event to org
@ 2018-08-19  2:48 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-08-19  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:

> Hello List
>
> I was wondering if somebody would like to share a nice method to import
> an ical event. Or just share some method already available I have
> missed. With some services on the web you get the option to add an event
> to your calendar. One of the options might be "ical", providing an .ics
> file for download. I would like to add that event as an org event in my
> org file I use for events.

There's the org-caldav package in MELPA, you can try that. When it
works, it does exactly what you want. It often doesn't work, though --
I'm not blaming the author, DAV stuff is bizarre and unreliable. I've
been using it with a Radicale server, and after some bug fixes it worked
great. Now it's suddenly stopped working again, for no reason I can see,
and I've been too lazy to figure out why.

Anyway, I think it would be worth a shot.

Eric

* Re: Importing an ical event to org
@ 2018-08-19 13:41 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-08-19 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, 18 Aug 2018 at 17:21, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> Hello List
>
> I was wondering if somebody would like to share a nice method to import
> an ical event.

A while back, I wrote an awk script which translates a vcalendar entry
to org.  You can find (a version of) the script on the worg site:

    https://orgmode.org/worg/code/awk/ical2org.awk

As an aside, note that the security certificate for this site expired
yesterday so you may have issues accessing the site.

I use this script daily to download and convert Google and Outlook
calendars, both exported as ICS files.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.13 on Debian buster/sid

* Re: Importing an ical event to org
@ 2018-08-21 20:34   ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-08-21 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, help-gnu-emacs

> Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Hello List
>>
>> I was wondering if somebody would like to share a nice method to import
>> an ical event. Or just share some method already available I have
>> missed. With some services on the web you get the option to add an event
>> to your calendar. One of the options might be "ical", providing an .ics
>> file for download. I would like to add that event as an org event in my
>> org file I use for events.
>
> There's the org-caldav package in MELPA, you can try that. When it

You see, that's the available method I had simply missed, I already use
that for syncing to my calendar service. I guess I missed it since it
doesn't seem to have any *intended* command for importing an arbitrary
file on your computer. I evaled the function
`org-caldav-import-ics-to-org' given the ics file as argument and it was
added as I wanted into my `org-caldav-inbox' file.

> works, it does exactly what you want. It often doesn't work, though --
>  I'm not blaming the author, DAV stuff is bizarre and unreliable. I've
>  been using it with a Radicale server, and after some bug fixes it
> worked great. Now it's suddenly stopped working again, for no reason I
> can see, and I've been too lazy to figure out why.

It's been working fine for me so far with the calendar stack
simple-calendar and DAVdroid on my phone, posteo calendar service
on-line and emacs org stuff here on my computer.

Thanks
--

@ 2018-08-21 20:37   ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-08-21 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, help-gnu-emacs

> On Saturday, 18 Aug 2018 at 17:21, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>> Hello List
>>
>> I was wondering if somebody would like to share a nice method to import
>> an ical event.
>
> A while back, I wrote an awk script which translates a vcalendar entry
> to org.  You can find (a version of) the script on the worg site:

awk is cool

>     https://orgmode.org/worg/code/awk/ical2org.awk

Thanks, I keep that in my back pocket should I need it. I stick with the
org-caldav functions for now as suggested by Eric since I already use
that package.