all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Yikes! Emacs line mode went crazy and its persisent...please help!
@ 2018-11-09 14:59 butzwonker
From: butzwonker @ 2018-11-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is that even possible? After years of using Emacs, today I might have pressed some presumably incorrect keyboard combination and now Emacs in AucTex has started to go crazy. I used to have visual-line-mode and line numbering on. Now suddenly it wraps to some column (98) instead of the window with and if I press ctrl-e it jumps to the next line. When I go back with ctrl-b it doesn't jump to the last word on the previous line but to the last position in the visible frame! Then, when there is e.g. "the" on the current line and I type " dude", "the" jumps to the previous line and "dude" moves to the beginning of the line.

Also, the line numbering now shows one line per paragraph instead of consecutive line numbers for each soft-wrapped line.

What's puzzling me is that I did not make any changes to default.el or .emacs and nevertheless the change is persistent across Emacs launches and even logging in and out again. It happened from one moment to the other, so it must have been caused by an unusual keypress.

Does anybody have an idea what I inadvertently changed? Please help, this is driving me nuts and I can't work that way.

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2017-09-20 on lcy01-07, modified by Debian

* Re: Yikes! Emacs line mode went crazy and its persisent...please help!
@ 2018-11-09 15:20 ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-11-09 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anybody have an idea

Start from
  emacs -Q

* Re: Yikes! Emacs line mode went crazy and its persisent...please help!
@ 2018-11-09 16:28   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-11-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-11-09, at 16:20, Van L <van@scratch.space> wrote:

>> Does anybody have an idea
>
> Start from
>   emacs -Q

Also, in the future: C-h l

Also, elisp-bug-hunter

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Yikes! Emacs line mode went crazy and its persisent...please help!
@ 2018-11-13 22:28     ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-11-13 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Also, elisp-bug-hunter

No description is given by

C-h d elisp-bug-hunter RET

* Re: Yikes! Emacs line mode went crazy and its persisent...please help!
@ 2018-11-13 22:42       ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2018-11-13 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No description is given by

> C-h d elisp-bug-hunter RET

That’s because it’s not in core, but is on GNU ELPA¹.

Footnotes:
¹  https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/bug-hunter.html

* Re: Yikes! Emacs line mode went crazy and its persisent...please help!
@ 2018-11-23  7:36         ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-11-23  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> No description is given by
>
>> C-h d elisp-bug-hunter RET
>
> That’s because it’s not in core, but is on GNU ELPA¹.

Thanks. I’ve been on the lookout for
the double dash convention hinting at
the component not being in core, such as, elisp--bug-hunter