all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Disabling Emojis in the UI
@ 2021-12-28  9:10 Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-12-28  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

in Emacs 29 (I don't think this was an issue in 28) I see emojis popping
up in the UI, as for example the C-h b buffer.  If the Noto emoji fonts
are installed, the folding buttons are displayed using these, and I feel
this looks out of place.

Is there an option to disable their usage in user interface, without
loosing them in regular text?  (I know that in this specific case, I
just have to modify outline-minor-mode-buttons).

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Disabling Emojis in the UI
@ 2021-12-28 19:04 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-12-28 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Philip Kaludercic [2021-12-28 10:10:26] wrote:
> in Emacs 29 (I don't think this was an issue in 28) I see emojis popping
> up in the UI, as for example the C-h b buffer.  If the Noto emoji fonts
> are installed, the folding buttons are displayed using these, and I feel
> this looks out of place.
>
> Is there an option to disable their usage in user interface, without
> loosing them in regular text?  (I know that in this specific case, I
> just have to modify outline-minor-mode-buttons).

You might want to `M-x report-emacs-bug` or mention this on emacs-devel.
I think other people have already expressed a dislike for it.
Maybe the current default is a bit too emoji-happy.

* Re: Disabling Emojis in the UI
@ 2021-12-28 19:50   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-12-28 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Stefan Monnier

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> You might want to `M-x report-emacs-bug` or mention this on emacs-devel.
> I think other people have already expressed a dislike for it.
> Maybe the current default is a bit too emoji-happy.

Stefan K is working on a library for icons like this, so we're waiting
for that before doing anything further in this area.