Hello Philip, Philip Kaludercic writes: > Thierry Volpiatto writes: > >> Philip Kaludercic writes: >> >>>> No don't worry, helm will work in any cases, thanks. >>> >>> OK, in that case I'd prefer to keep it the way it is. >> >> Ok, fair enough. >> >>>>> Mainly to avoid issues with packages that might place files in the >>>>> configuration directory, which might hinder the reproduction of bugs. >>>> >>>> Hmm, maybe, I don't have an example in mind though. >>> >>> It might not be the best example, but my package autocrypt generates a >>> file in the `user-emacs-directory'. If we don't use --init-directory, >>> the existing file would be re-used. >> >> Ok, for such case it is easy to either rename the file temporarily to >> foo_ori or foo_save or to set the variable handling the file (generally >> it is not harcoded) to something else. But another issue is if your >> isolated package needs the history file or tramp file or whatever file >> ~/.emacs.d is handling; e.g. a package providing completion on history. >> I still think it is more handy to reuse user-emacs-directory and its >> elpa directory where the packages are already installed. > > How about this patch, that will use a temporary directory when > `package-isolate' is invoked with a prefix argument (not sure what the > default should be, I guess reusing `user-emacs-directory' is less > surprising): Yes. Isn't these two loop the same? (save one loop) (cl-loop for p in (cl-loop for p in (package--alist) append (cdr p)) unless (package-built-in-p p) collect (cons (package-desc-full-name p) p) into table finally return (list (cl-loop for c in (completing-read-multiple "Isolate packages: " table nil t) collect (alist-get c table nil nil #'string=)) current-prefix-arg)) (cl-loop for p in (package--alist) for desc = (cadr p) for name = (car p) unless (package-built-in-p desc) collect (cons (package-desc-full-name desc) p) into table finally return (list (cl-loop for c in (completing-read-multiple "Isolate packages: " table nil t) append (cdr (alist-get c table nil nil #'string=))) current-prefix-arg)) > [2. text/x-diff; 0001-Add-command-to-start-Emacs-with-specific-packages.patch]... -- Thierry