Eli Zaretskii writes: >> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 00:13:25 +0100 >> From: Evgenii Klimov via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, >> the Swiss army knife of text editors" >> >> `with-temp-buffer' doesn't respect buffer-local environment variables, >> `exec-path' in this case. Which results in executables not being found, >> or the wrong versions of executables being picked up. E.g. if >> environment variable is modified via .dir-local file or direnv/envrc >> package. > > Hmm, this doesn't look clean to me: exec-path is just one variable, > what makes it special here? > > Moreover, it sounds like python-shell-with-environment, which > python-shell-prompt-detect calls, already attempts to have > buffer-local value of exec-path to be available to Python, so why > isn't that working for you? And if it isn't work, I think we should > amend python-shell-with-environment to do this, so we don't need to do > it "by hand". Indeed, my initial approach is too manual. Here the problem that I have: I don't use Python's "venv" module to create virtual environment for the project. Instead, I use GNU Guix's "guix shell" command [1] which provides augmented PATH and PYTHONPATH, etc. to link project's dependencies. Then, envrc.el package picks up these environment variables and makes them buffer-local project-wise (`exec-path' and `process-environment'). You are correct that `python-shell-with-environment' provides buffer-local variables, but `with-temp-buffer' treats `exec-path' and `process-environment' variables very specially. I didn't find this behavior in documentation, but look at this example: (setq-default exec-path (list "global" "list")) (setq-local exec-path (cons "local" (default-value 'exec-path))) (setq-default myvar (list "global" "list")) (setq-local myvar (cons "local" (default-value 'myvar))) (let ((exec-path exec-path) ; takes buffer-local (myvar myvar)) ; takes buffer-local (with-temp-buffer (insert (car exec-path) ; uses global "\n" (car myvar)) ; uses `let'-binded (buffer-string))) ;; => "global ;; local" (require 'cl-lib) (let ((myvar myvar)) ;; temporarily binds buffer-local value to global symbol (cl-letf (((default-value 'exec-path) exec-path)) (with-temp-buffer ;; global variable is used, but it's value is temporarily equal ;; to buffer-local value (insert (car exec-path) "\n" (car myvar)) (buffer-string)))) ;; => "local ;; local" It's a simplified and expanded version of `python-shell-with-environment' and `python-shell-prompt-detect'. As you can see, `exec-path' is treated differently inside of `with-temp-buffer' and `cl-letf' is needed to force `with-temp-buffer' to use buffer-local value of `exec-path'. In the new patch attached I show how this can be overcome. Don't know if you'll consider my use case too narrow and specific, but I'll be glad to hear your thoughts on this. [1] https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/en/guix.html#Invoking-guix-environment