all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question on minibuffer editing
@ 2003-05-22 10:44 Arvind Kumar
From: Arvind Kumar @ 2003-05-22 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Guys,
   Say, for example, I am opening a file in emacs using C-x f. I am in
one directory with long hierarchy. I want to go down the hierarchy to
some other path. Keep pressing the backspace button is cumbursome. How
do I set the key so that c-backspace or Alt-backspace deletes the word
in the minibuffer??? I am sure I was it's possible because i had this
setting in my last company. But I can't remember exactly what this
setup was!!!

Any help will be appreciated!!
Arvind Kumar

* Re: Question on minibuffer editing
@ 2003-05-22 14:29 ` Burton Samograd
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Burton Samograd @ 2003-05-22 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

arvindk@xebeo.com (Arvind Kumar) writes:

> Hi Guys,
>    Say, for example, I am opening a file in emacs using C-x f. I am in
> one directory with long hierarchy. I want to go down the hierarchy to
> some other path. Keep pressing the backspace button is cumbursome. How
> do I set the key so that c-backspace or Alt-backspace deletes the word
> in the minibuffer??? I am sure I was it's possible because i had this
> setting in my last company. But I can't remember exactly what this
> setup was!!!

Instead of doing this, you could learn how emacs cursor movement works
a bit better.  To do what you want, you could go backwards word (M-b)
and then delete word (M-d) (M- meaning press Alt and the key given).
Sorry if this is patronizing and you know this, but it doesn't sound
like you do and it's good to learn.

I never use it but I just noticed that my version of emacs (21.3)
does word deletion with M-[backspace] and I've never set anything up
to do it.  Maybe you could do an upgrade and see if that works.

--
burton samograd
kruhft@kruhft.dyndns.org

* Re: Question on minibuffer editing
@ 2003-05-22 14:33 ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-05-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that this will do the trick...it is what I use. This will also work
outside of the minibuffer, but I guess you could make it local-set-key for
the minibuffer only?

(global-set-key [C-backspace] 'backward-kill-word)

--
=======
Javier

@ 2003-05-22 14:52 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-22 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arvind Kumar wrote:

>    Say, for example, I am opening a file in emacs using C-x f.

I assume you mean `C-x C-f'.

> I am in
> one directory with long hierarchy. I want to go down the hierarchy to
> some other path. Keep pressing the backspace button is cumbursome. How
> do I set the key so that c-backspace or Alt-backspace deletes the word
> in the minibuffer??? I am sure I was it's possible because i had this
> setting in my last company. But I can't remember exactly what this
> setup was!!!

`M-<delete>' and `M-<backspace>' work for me without any customization.  (On

my keyboard, the Alt key is the meta modifier.)

--

* Re: Question on minibuffer editing
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-05-22 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4caa7863.0305220244.6951f005@posting.google.com>,
Arvind Kumar <arvindk@xebeo.com> wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>   Say, for example, I am opening a file in emacs using C-x f. I am in

C-x f sets the fill column, I think you mean C-x C-f.

>one directory with long hierarchy. I want to go down the hierarchy to
>some other path. Keep pressing the backspace button is cumbursome. How
>do I set the key so that c-backspace or Alt-backspace deletes the word
>in the minibuffer??? I am sure I was it's possible because i had this
>setting in my last company. But I can't remember exactly what this
>setup was!!!

The minibuffer usually has the same basic editing commands as a fundamental
mode buffer.  The only significant difference is that it adds a few keys
for moving back and forth through the history (M-p and M-n) and does
completion.

C-Backspace and M-Backspace should delete the previous word unless you've
done something in your .emacs to override it.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

* Re: Question on minibuffer editing
@ 2003-05-23  4:46   ` Arvind Kumar
From: Arvind Kumar @ 2003-05-23  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all for your comments!!! M-b M-d moves the cursor first and
then deletes the word. backward-kill-word is what i was looking for..
I had tried finding out the lisp equivalent without success!! Thanks
again!!
Arvind Kumar