all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Segmentation Faults
@ 2003-11-13 21:17 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-13 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs dies sporadically with the following away message:

Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

-Dan

* Re: Segmentation Faults
       [not found] <mailman.52.1068761969.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-14 17:10 ` Artur Hefczyc
From: Artur Hefczyc @ 2003-11-14 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> Emacs dies sporadically with the following away message:
> Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault
> What does this mean and how do I fix it?

What version of emacs do you use? What system?

I have very similar problem with emacs-cvs (21.3.50.2) under Gentoo Linux.
It always crashes (the same message) when I try to run on root
account. On other account - regular user it works just fine.

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc, Open Source Developer:
http://www.geotools.org/

* Re: Segmentation Faults
@ 2003-11-14 17:39   ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-14 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 12:10, Artur Hefczyc wrote:
> Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:
>
> > Emacs dies sporadically with the following away message:
> > Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault
> > What does this mean and how do I fix it?
>
> What version of emacs do you use? What system?

21.3.1 -- From Mandrake sources on Mandrake 9.2

@ 2003-11-14 21:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-14 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Emacs dies sporadically with the following away message:
> Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault

> What does this mean and how do I fix it?

It means there's a problem.
To fix it, you'll have to fix the problem,

> Thanks,

My pleasure,

        Stefan

PS: I wish I could be more specific, but you really don't give us much
info to work with.

* Re: Segmentation Faults
@ 2003-11-14 21:51   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-14 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have very similar problem with emacs-cvs (21.3.50.2) under Gentoo Linux.
> It always crashes (the same message) when I try to run on root
> account. On other account - regular user it works just fine.

Please report them to the address mentioned in INSTALL-CVS.

* Re: Segmentation Faults
@ 2003-11-15  9:35     ` Artur Hefczyc
From: Artur Hefczyc @ 2003-11-15  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I have very similar problem with emacs-cvs (21.3.50.2) under Gentoo Linux.
>> It always crashes (the same message) when I try to run on root
>> account. On other account - regular user it works just fine.
>
> Please report them to the address mentioned in INSTALL-CVS.

You are right, but I think rather that this is my local problem with
configuration than with emacs itself. (It works on regular account with
no problems.)
I haven't enough time yet to investigate the problem and ensure where
the source of problem is.

I have a lot of work and at last emacs works well where I need it the most.

Artur