all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting started with syntax highlighting.
@ 2005-10-24 20:33 Alex Polite
From: Alex Polite @ 2005-10-24 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I want get into syntax highlighting.

What I want to do is grey out all text that matches the regular
expression "{id:\d+}. Sounds pretty basic right? But the documentation
leaves me puzzled.

Anybody out got a simple example to get me started?

alex

--
Alex Polite
http://flosspick.org - finding the right open source

* Re: Getting started with syntax highlighting.
       [not found] <mailman.12520.1130186025.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-24 21:46 ` David Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Hansen @ 2005-10-24 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:33:41 +0200 Alex Polite wrote:

> I want get into syntax highlighting.
>
> What I want to do is grey out all text that matches the regular
> expression "{id:\d+}. Sounds pretty basic right? But the documentation
> leaves me puzzled.
>
> Anybody out got a simple example to get me started?

http://two-wugs.net/emacs/mode-tutorial.html

David

* Re: Getting started with syntax highlighting.
@ 2005-10-24 22:07   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-24 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:33:41 +0200 Alex Polite wrote:
>

>>I want get into syntax highlighting.
>>
>>What I want to do is grey out all text that matches the regular
>>expression "{id:\d+}. Sounds pretty basic right? But the documentation
>>leaves me puzzled.
>>
>>Anybody out got a simple example to get me started?
>>

>http://two-wugs.net/emacs/mode-tutorial.html

This is also mentioned here:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CreateNewMajorMode

@ 2005-10-24 23:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-24 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What I want to do is grey out all text that matches the regular
> expression "{id:\d+}. Sounds pretty basic right? But the documentation
> leaves me puzzled.

Other than the font-lock doc, check out the regexp-syntax docs as well.

@ 2005-10-25 18:28 ` Christian Schlauer
From: Christian Schlauer @ 2005-10-25 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Polite <notmyprivateemail@gmail.com> writes:

> I want get into syntax highlighting.
>
> What I want to do is grey out all text that matches the regular
> expression "{id:\d+}. Sounds pretty basic right? But the documentation
> leaves me puzzled.
>
> Anybody out got a simple example to get me started?

Try `M-x highlight-regexp RET', maybe this is enough for you. You can
learn more about this in the comment section of the file hi-lock.el.
--
Christian Schlauer

* Re: Getting started with syntax highlighting.
       [not found] <mailman.12520.1130186025.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-25 21:57 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-10-25 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I want get into syntax highlighting.
> But the documentation
> leaves me puzzled.

I've noticed the documentation of this in CVS Emacs is greatly
improved over prior versions.  Better explainations and more
examples.  If it still doesn't make sense, try asking a question
about a specific argument or function that isn't clear.