all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
Subject: Re: executing a lisp command as a hook
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:58:43 +0200	[thread overview]

> So I tried a simple elisp function:

> (message jde-project-name)

> This works when I execute the command from a scratch buffer using C-c
> C-e, but if I include that command as is in the hook line (set using a
> configure-variable interface) I get this is a response in the echo
> area:

> Invalid function: (message jde-project-name)

I'm guessing that's because (message jde-project-name) by itself isn't
a function.  It's a function call.

Did you try doing something like this?
 (add-hook 'my-hook '(message jde-project-name))
?

> Can anyone tell me how to provide a way to call an elisp function from
> a hook variable?

You can use an anonymous lambda function, or define a function with a
name and use the name.  I prefer using named functions, because they
are easier to recognize when looking at the hook's value, and easier
to remove.

Using a lambda it would be something like this:
 (add-hook 'my-hook '(lambda () (message jde-project-name)))

Using a named function it would be something like this
 (defun display-jde-project-name () (message jde-project-name))
 (add-hook 'my-hook 'display-jde-project-name)

(though as was hinted at later in this thread, message may not be the
best function to use here)