all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* go into methods shortcut key in emacs
@ 2006-11-19 21:59 Pedro Sa da Costa
From: Pedro Sa da Costa @ 2006-11-19 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

with this example, i would like to select the method callMethod() inside
test() method and, by pressing any key (for example, F3), i would like
to go into the method. How is this possible in emacs?

public void test() {
    obj.callMethod() <-- I would like to select callMethod() and, by
pressing f3, i go into this method.
}

public void callMethod() {
    System.out.println("Hello world!");
}

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Pedro

* Re: go into methods shortcut key in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.851.1163973595.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-19 22:21 ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-11-19 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pedro Sa da Costa <op132650c@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

> with this example, i would like to select the method callMethod()
> inside test() method and, by pressing any key (for example, F3), i
> would like to go into the method. How is this possible in emacs?

It's explained in the chapter "Tags Tables" of the Emacs Info manual;
briefly, you create a TAGS file ("etags" command) and in your buffer,
do M-x visit-tags-table. With point at or behind ".callMethod", you go
to the tag's definition via M-. (find-tag).

All the best!
Markus Triska

* Re: go into methods shortcut key in emacs
@ 2006-11-22 10:20   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-11-22 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Markus Triska <triska@gmx.at> writes:

>> with this example, i would like to select the method callMethod()
>> inside test() method and, by pressing any key (for example, F3), i
>> would like to go into the method. How is this possible in emacs?
>
> It's explained in the chapter "Tags Tables" of the Emacs Info
> manual; briefly, you create a TAGS file ("etags" command) and in
> your buffer, do M-x visit-tags-table. With point at or behind
> ".callMethod", you go to the tag's definition via M-. (find-tag).

Because I am too lazy to learn and try out the TAGS features in Emacs
(I have used Emacs since 1997 and never tried that out...) I use C-s
C-w instead. It might take a few more keystrokes (keep typing C-s to
find the correct place) and it might sometimes find too many
occurances, but it works quite well.