all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* modified xcscope.el (was re:xcscope browse history)
@ 2007-01-04 14:10 Fang lun gang
From: Fang lun gang @ 2007-01-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"bcjrstan@gmail.com" writes
>>> Hi,
>>> I use  xcscope.el  for Emacs to navigate souce code . However, I can't
>>> figure out how I can go back and forth through  the cscope lookup
>>> history.
>>>
>>> For example, in emacs +etags , when I'm browsing source,   I can
>>> quickly come back  to the places where I'm leaving behind with each
>>> etags lookup  ,just repeatedly  using M-*
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do the same thing in the emacs-xcscope setup?
>>> any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Please check it out at
 http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CScopeAndEmacs

The source code can be downloaded from:
 http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/xcscope.el.gz

Quotes:

 Thank Darryl for bringing us such an amazing tool. However, despite
 much convenience it provides there are still some guys, including me
 :-), asking for certain new feature now and then on news groups: going
 back and forth the search history. I really want this feature since
 searching is sometimes time-consuming.

 So I hacked it myself (Lisp:xcscope.el.gz). Your comments are
 appreciated.

 USAGE: For basic usage refer to original comments. To view previous
 search result, call cscope-pop-history (C-c s h). It works some like
 undo. To break current sequence of pop history, either perform a cscope
 search or run cscope-renew-history (C-c s r) explicitly.

Regards,

--
Fang lun gang

* Re: modified xcscope.el
@ 2007-01-04 16:51 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2007-01-04 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Fang>  So I hacked it myself (Lisp:xcscope.el.gz). Your comments are
    Fang>  appreciated.

Hi, thanks for your work!

Since you asked for comments, here it comes :-)

There is already a lot of confusion about different (x)cscope.el versions
floating around on the net and I don't think it's a good idea to have an
additional one.

So I propose to

   - contact Darryl Okahata and ask if he is willing to include your
     changes. This would mean that the xcscope.el distributed along with the
     official release of cscope is the one to use, or

  - create a xcscope+.el (or whatever, Drew Adams wrote a lot of foo+.el). After
    a quick glance at your code, I think you are not really changing anything
    but put in some additions. xcscope+.el could simply require xcscope.el. So
    this solution is feasible, too.

Just my 2c...

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

"... There is a fine line between fiction and non-fiction, which
I believe I snorted in 1978 ..."

Kinky Friedman: Scuse Me While I Whip This Out

* Re: modified xcscope.el
@ 2007-01-05 10:42   ` Fang lun gang
From: Fang lun gang @ 2007-01-05 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Thorsten> So I propose to

   Thorsten>    - contact Darryl Okahata and ask if he is willing to
   Thorsten> include your changes. This would mean that the xcscope.el

I've written to Darryl a week ago according two email addresses in the
xcscope and get no response. Maybe he had changed company and hence
the email. Meanwhile, I'm so eager to share my work with you :) .

   Thorsten>   - create a xcscope+.el (or whatever, Drew Adams wrote a
   Thorsten> think you are not really changing anything but put in some
   Thorsten> additions. xcscope+.el could simply require xcscope.el. So
   Thorsten> this solution is feasible, too.

But I did modified several functions of xcscope. Most modification are
just one line or so. Maybe that is why you didn't notice them. Since I'm
new to elisp, I'm wondering could I put all function I modified (and
added) into xcscope+ so that they will overwrite the original ones in
xcscope? If I could, maybe xcscope+ is also a good idea.

Anyway, I thought the best way is that Darryl sees my code and decides
to adopt it into official xcscope. (And that would be my honor)

Thank you,

--
Fang lungang