all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mode on by default
@ 2007-03-02  7:20 Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-02  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

in my .emacs I have

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(column-number-mode t)
 '(winner-mode t)
 '(default-major-mode (quote text-mode))

and the list goes on.
notice that I edited the above section by adding the line
'(winner-mode t)

is that correct in order to turn this mode on by default?

thanks

* Re: mode on by default
@ 2007-03-02  8:44 ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-02  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Wessle, emacs

Gary Wessle wrote:
> Hi
>
> in my .emacs I have
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(column-number-mode t)
>  '(winner-mode t)
>  '(default-major-mode (quote text-mode))
>
> and the list goes on.
> notice that I edited the above section by adding the line
> '(winner-mode t)
>
> is that correct in order to turn this mode on by default?

I think it should be:

(winner-mode 1)

and there's no reason to put it in custom-set-variables

Matthew Flaschen

* Re: mode on by default
@ 2007-03-02  8:47 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-03-02  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 02 Mar 2007 18:20:56 +1100 Gary Wessle wrote:

> Hi
>
> in my .emacs I have
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^

> notice that I edited the above section by adding the line
> '(winner-mode t)

M-x customize-apropos RET winner RET

David

* Re: mode on by default
@ 2007-03-03 20:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> in my .emacs I have
[...]
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
> notice that I edited the above section by adding the line
              ^^^^^^^^
[...]
> is that correct in order to turn this mode on by default?

Maybe the result is correct (it looks plausible, but there are occasionally
surprises).  But as the comment indicates, it clearly isn't the correct way
to get this result.

Use M-x customize-variable RET winner-mode RET

Or place

   (winner-mode 1)

somewhere in your .emacs.