all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remove Graphical Menu in emacs 21?
@ 2007-05-22 12:09 Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2007-05-22 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

being a victim of a forced upgrade to emacs 21 under Debian, I now have
this second menu bar on the top that is all pictures. This thing has
zero value for me and is eating my screenspace, which annoys me no
end. Browsing the FAQ and manual, I failed to find a way to turn it
off. Can somebody tell me how or at least give me a pointer on where
to look for the relevant documentation? Thanks!

Arno

* Re: Remove Graphical Menu in emacs 21?
@ 2007-05-22 12:14 ` Damien Wyart
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Damien Wyart @ 2007-05-22 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> in gnu.emacs.help:
> I now have this second menu bar on the top that is all pictures.

(tool-bar-mode -1)

--
DW

* Re: Remove Graphical Menu in emacs 21?
@ 2007-05-22 13:54 ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2007-05-22 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> being a victim of a forced upgrade to emacs 21 under Debian, I now have
> this second menu bar on the top that is all pictures. This thing has
> zero value for me and is eating my screenspace, which annoys me no
> end. Browsing the FAQ and manual, I failed to find a way to turn it
> off. Can somebody tell me how or at least give me a pointer on where
> to look for the relevant documentation? Thanks!

I have the following in my ~/.Xresources for this:

,----[ ~/.Xresources ]
|    Emacs.menuBar: off
|    Emacs.toolBar: off
`----

The already mentioned (tool-bar-mode -1) works as well of course.

> Arno

Tom

* Re: Remove Graphical Menu in emacs 21?
@ 2007-05-22 21:04   ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-05-22 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rauchenwald; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Rauchenwald <its.sec@gmx.net> writes:

> I have the following in my ~/.Xresources for this:
>
> ,----[ ~/.Xresources ]
> |    Emacs.menuBar: off
> |    Emacs.toolBar: off
> `----
>
> The already mentioned (tool-bar-mode -1) works as well of course.

Don't forget (scroll-bar-mode -1), it's also space saving.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Remove Graphical Menu in emacs 21?
@ 2007-05-22 21:45 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Wagner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Simply put

Emacs.toolBar: off

in your .Xdefault

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Remove Graphical Menu in emacs 21?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-23  4:31 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-05-23  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> being a victim of a forced upgrade to emacs 21 under Debian, I now have
> this second menu bar on the top that is all pictures. This thing has
> zero value for me and is eating my screenspace, which annoys me no
> end. Browsing the FAQ and manual, I failed to find a way to turn it
> off. Can somebody tell me how or at least give me a pointer on where
> to look for the relevant documentation? Thanks!
>
> Arno

Its the toolbar - the very first thing I disabled when moving to emacs 21.

There are a number of ways to disable it

1. In your .Xresources i.e. Emacs.toolBar: 0
2. put (tool-bar-mode -1) in your .emacs
3. Use customize to disable the mode

,----[ C-h f tool-bar-mode RET ]
| tool-bar-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `tool-bar.el'.
| It is bound to  <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-tool-bar> .
| (tool-bar-mode &optional arg)
|
| Toggle use of the tool bar.
| With numeric arg, display the tool bar if and only if arg is positive.
|
| See `tool-bar-add-item' and `tool-bar-add-item-from-menu' for
| conveniently adding tool bar items.
|
| [back]
`----

Tim