all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus not rendering html anymore
@ 2007-12-04 20:19 cothrige
       [not found] ` <mailman.4552.1196855112.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: cothrige @ 2007-12-04 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have been using Gnus 5.11 for a little while now, and loving it.
Somehow I had managed to get w3m working okay with it, and it was
automatically rendering any email which was unfortunately html just
fine.  However, I have noticed that recently, for reasons unknown to me,
html mail no longer renders automatically.  I have looked at the manuals
and gone through the options I can find related to mime, html, w3m and
gnus and everything seems okay.  I don't have text/html, or anything at
all actually, listed in the discouraged list.  But, still, nothing.

I did try setting the gnus-treat-wash-html variable to 't' myself, and
this worked, but it rendered any non-html mail unreadable.  Obviously,
that won't do.  I currently have to type W-h, which is not a killer, but
I didn't have to do it a few weeks ago, and now I do, and would rather
figure out what I have messed up.  I noticed also in the docs that W-h
"is usually done automatically by Gnus if the message in question has a
`Content-Type' header that says that the message is HTML."  The last
message I have gotten like this definitely had this header and so I
would think should have been handled properly.

What might I be able to do to get html handled properly without my
intervention, and without messing up all the text messages?

* Re: Gnus not rendering html anymore
@ 2007-12-05 11:40 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.4552.1196855112.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-12-05 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

cothrige <cothrige@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi,

> What might I be able to do to get html handled properly without my
> intervention, and without messing up all the text messages?

For me

  (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

with emacs-w3m installed does the job just fine.  But I think for emacs
22 you need a more current version of emacs-w3m than the released 1.4.4,
so get a snapshot or check out the sources from CVS.

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2007-12-05 21:30   ` cothrige
From: cothrige @ 2007-12-05 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> For me
>
>   (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
>
> with emacs-w3m installed does the job just fine.  But I think for emacs
> 22 you need a more current version of emacs-w3m than the released 1.4.4,
> so get a snapshot or check out the sources from CVS.

Many thanks for the help.  I have checked, and the above setting for w3m
is in place, and that was what actually used to work.  So, I began
looking into the w3m installed, and have stumbled onto what has been
causing the problem.  Somehow, gnus-article-loose-mime was not set, and
this seems to have caused it.  I can't remember why that may have been
toggled, but maybe I had a reason?  But, in this case, it was
interfering with the rendering automatically.

Thanks again,

Patrick