On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:12:01 -0500 Richard Stallman wrote: > 3'. Put the cursor on the first column after the left continuation arrow > and evaluate this sexp: (put-text-property (1- (point)) (point) 'display > " \n"). > > 5. Now the rest of the text, from point to the end, appears in the same > position as before step 3' but the continuation arrows have vanished, > i.e., it looks like there are two lines of text, not one continued line. > > When I try this, the continuation arrows do not disappear. This surprises me. I continue to see what I reported with current sources, GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of 2008-01-03 on escher. Perhaps the steps I gave to reproduce it were not clear. I've made screen shots showing what I see. Here is the buffer at step 3 of my OP, before evalling the display sexp: