all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Splitting a window into any number of parts
@ 2008-09-03 10:47 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-09-03 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to split an Emacs window into an arbitrarily number of
equally sized parts, either horizontally or vertically?

/Nordlöw

* Re: Splitting a window into any number of parts
@ 2008-09-03 12:01 ` Rupert Swarbrick
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-09-03 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to split an Emacs window into an arbitrarily number of
> equally sized parts, either horizontally or vertically?
>
> /Nordlöw

Either:

1) Call C-x 2 or C-x 3 n times and then do M-x balance-windows

or

2) Look at the quick hack I wrote a couple of weeks ago, which is
archived here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/56928 (it
doesn't do anything clever about rounding errors for widths though:
caveat emptor).

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: Splitting a window into any number of parts
@ 2008-09-03 12:08 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-09-03 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 03:47:33 -0700 (PDT) Nordlöw wrote:

> Is there a way to split an Emacs window into an arbitrarily number of
> equally sized parts, either horizontally or vertically?

You can `balance-windows': C-+

David

* Re: Splitting a window into any number of parts
@ 2008-09-03 12:36 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2008-09-03 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: per.nordlow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Is there a way to split an Emacs window into an arbitrarily number of
 > equally sized parts, either horizontally or vertically?

If you have one window only, split any which way you like and do
`balance-windows-area'.

martin

* Re: Splitting a window into any number of parts
@ 2008-09-03 12:56   ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-09-03 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:08:37 +0200 David Hansen wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 03:47:33 -0700 (PDT) Nordlöw wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to split an Emacs window into an arbitrarily number of
>> equally sized parts, either horizontally or vertically?
>
> You can `balance-windows': C-+

* C-x +

* Re: Splitting a window into any number of parts
@ 2008-09-03 16:22 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-03 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw wrote:
> Is there a way to split an Emacs window into an arbitrarily number of
> equally sized parts, either horizontally or vertically?

I think you have to split the window a number of times.

Making the equal size after that is quite tricky, but there are
functions for that in winsize.el which is part of nXhtml.

* Re: Splitting a window into any number of parts
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-08 21:04 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2008-09-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw wrote:
> Is there a way to split an Emacs window into an arbitrarily number of
>  equally sized parts, either horizontally or vertically?

In addition to the other posts, you can resize a window by dragging the
status bar with the left mouse button.