all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't compile with GNUstep
@ 2009-07-08 19:00 Germán Arias
From: Germán Arias @ 2009-07-08 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, I have Emacs from CVS. And I try compile this with (I have GNUstep on /usr/GNUstep)

./configure --with-ns CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers LIBS=-lgnustep-gui LDFLAGS=-L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries

But when I do

make install

I get the error

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgnustep-gui
collect2: ld devolvió el estado de salida 1
make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/german/Instalados/emacs/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

Some suggestion?

¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!
http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=e1

* Re: Can't compile with GNUstep
@ 2009-07-08 22:05 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-08 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Germán Arias; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.07.2009 um 21:00 schrieb Germán Arias:

> But when I do
>
> make install
>
> I get the error
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgnustep-gui

Are you sure you need to give -lgnustep-gui?

--
Greetings

   Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development.  One expects them to obey the law because they
know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
				– Michael Shirley

* Re: Can't compile with GNUstep
@ 2009-07-08 22:39 Germán Arias
From: Germán Arias @ 2009-07-08 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Well, but if I try with

./configure --with-ns CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers LDFLAGS=-L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries

or with

./configure --with-ns CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers

I get the same error.

       [not found] <58208A73-827A-4A2E-BF28-C519A8FB7B6B@Web.DE>
@ 2009-07-11 18:44 ` Germán Arias
From: Germán Arias @ 2009-07-11 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs

Well, I copy the GNUstep libraries from /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries to /lib, now I don't get that error. But, now I get

Compiling /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/eshell/em-unix.el
Fatal error (11)Aborted
make[1]: *** [/home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/eshell/em-unix.elc] Error 134
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp'
make: *** [lisp] Error 2

The file config.log should give precise information why configuration fails.

@ 2009-07-11 21:22   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2600.1247708066.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-11 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Germán Arias; +Cc: Emacs

Am 11.07.2009 um 20:44 schrieb Germán Arias:

> Compiling /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/eshell/em-unix.el
> Fatal error (11)Aborted
> make[1]: *** [/home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/eshell/em-
> unix.elc] Error 134

Byte-code compilation failed. I'd try

	make distclean
	./configure <again>
	make bootstrap

Could be something was left from previous attempts. This could
provoke failures. Signal 11 (SEGV) points into this direction.

Have you ever tried to invoke

	./configure --help

Doesn't GNUstep.conf solve all problems? LDFLAGS can help GCC find
all places with libraries.

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

* Re: Can't compile with GNUstep
@ 2009-07-16  1:34     ` Germán Arias
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2600.1247708066.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Germán Arias @ 2009-07-16  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs

Well, if I try

./configure
make

All work fine. But with

./configure --with-ns --with-gnustep-conf=/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf

configure fails. And with

./configure --with-ns CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers
make install

or

./configure --with-ns CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers
make bootstrap

I get the same error Aborted(11). On the Makefile I see

CC=gcc
CPP=gcc -E
C_SWITCH_SYSTEM=-D_BSD_SOURCE
ALLOCA=
LN_S=ln -s
CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign   -I/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers
LDFLAGS= -Wl,-znocombreloc  -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries
CPPFLAGS=-D_BSD_SOURCE  -I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers
C_SWITCH_X_SITE=
LD_SWITCH_X_SITE=
EXEEXT=
MAKEINFO=/usr/bin/makeinfo

Why /usr/GNUstep/System? On the latest GNUstep source the headers and libraries are in /usr/GNUstep/Local

Thanks for your help and regards.

@ 2009-07-16  8:01       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-16  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Germán Arias; +Cc: Emacs

Am 16.07.2009 um 03:34 schrieb Germán Arias:

> Why /usr/GNUstep/System?

I don't know, and I don't know why you can't check which help
configure gives you…

--
Greetings

   Pete

A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like
to do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care
to live.
				– Bradford Angier

@ 2009-07-16  9:02       ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-07-16  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw