While doing some testing, I went back to the default white background, and noticed that some of the font-lock colors have rather poor contrast. I'm not sure if this is partly due to anti-aliasing, but it sure makes the text difficult to read. What do people think about making the following changes for the light-background settings? font-lock-builtin-face: "LightGray" -> "MediumOrchid4" font-lock-constant-face: "CadetBlue" -> "dark cyan" font-lock-string-face: "RosyBrown" -> "VioletRed4" font-lock-variable-name-face: "DarkGoldenrod" -> "OrangeRed4" This does not alter the existing color scheme, except for darkening the fainter colors. (The dark-background color scheme seems to be fine.)