all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Benjamin Andresen <benny@in-ulm.de>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Using tramp to connect to a remote emacs session
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 05:27:29 +0200	[thread overview]

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for going OT, I looked into screen after your post. Isn't it
> almost the same as any terminal emulators available on GNU/Linux
> systems? (xfce4-terminal, konsole, gnome-terminal ...)  What are the
> advantages offered by screen over a regular ssh session in one of
> these terminal emulators?

screen complements a terminal emulator, because it does simultaneously
more and less than one.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen

GNU Screen is a free terminal multiplexer that allows a user to access
multiple separate terminal sessions inside a single terminal window or
remote terminal session. It is useful for dealing with multiple programs
from the command line, and for separating programs from the shell that
started the program.

Features
        Persistence

        Similar to VNC, GNU Screen allows the user to start applications
        from one computer, and then reconnect from a different computer
        and continue using the same application without having to
        restart it.

        Multiple windows

        Multiple terminal sessions can be created, each of which usually
        runs a single application.

        Session Sharing

        Screen allows multiple computers to connect to the same session
        at once, allowing collaboration between multiple users.

If that doesn't answer the question, install it and follow this guide:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935

HTH,
benny