all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [emacsclient] how to set for 2 machines
@ 2009-10-14 23:22 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-10-14 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The subject line is a bit scruffy... but what I'm after:

I'm using emacsclient to run gnus and read News from on instance of
gnus running on an emacs --daemon=name (on a linux host).

One of the machines is an Opensolaris box... when I ssh to the source
machine and run emacsclient.  It seems I get the host machines .emacs
settings but the local machines handicaps.

Opensolaris has some different keyboard mappings that render M-x
unusable without some kind of modifications.  I have the necessary
line in the Opensolaris machine .emacs.. but when I use emacsclient
from the remote host and pull the X version of emacs across to the
Opensolaris machine... I have no M-x and have to use Esc-x.  Something
I never get used to, and causes me no end of grief.. not to mention
needing to learn some more effective swear words.

There are other snafus too but the question is how to get the emacs
session on the local solaris machine to function the same as it does
on the remote machine.

One way to make emacs have an `M' (alt) key on Opensolaris is to have
  (setq x-alt-keysym 'meta)

In .emacs, but that doesn't help when using emacsclient as described.

Can anyone help me get emacs to behave as similar as possible on
either machine? (when using emacslient).

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-10-14 23:22 UTC | newest]