all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Startup files data in different locations?
@ 2010-04-01  3:09 Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-04-01  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have my .emacs and .gnus in ~/ as usual. I'd like to back them up
using Dropbox. I know that I could store them in my Dropbox folder and
symlink them to ~/, but I wonder if there is a better way. Could I copy
the settings in these files, place them in files in the Dropbox folder,
and then include only the load command for these files in .emacs and
.gnus? This way, I could keep my settings secure and could load them on
my Linux machines and my Mac with a single line in the startup files of
each system. No symlinks (which I am not too familiar with and don't use
much) would be required. So:

On each system, .emacs has one line:

(load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/emacs_startup.el")
(load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/gnus_startup.el")

Is this workable?

Cheers.

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: Startup files data in different locations?
@ 2010-04-01 12:00 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-01 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ross@rosslaird.com (Ross A. Laird) writes:

> I have my .emacs and .gnus in ~/ as usual. I'd like to back them up
> using Dropbox. I know that I could store them in my Dropbox folder and
> symlink them to ~/, but I wonder if there is a better way. Could I copy
> the settings in these files, place them in files in the Dropbox folder,
> and then include only the load command for these files in .emacs and
> .gnus? This way, I could keep my settings secure and could load them on
> my Linux machines and my Mac with a single line in the startup files of
> each system. No symlinks (which I am not too familiar with and don't use
> much) would be required. So:
>
> On each system, .emacs has one line:
>
> (load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/emacs_startup.el")
> (load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/gnus_startup.el")
>
> Is this workable?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Ross

The first question that comes to mind is "Did it work?"

If it works, then it is certainly workable...

Dave

* Re: Startup files data in different locations?
@ 2010-04-01 13:57   ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-04-01 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/1/10, J. David Boyd wrote:
>  Ross A. Laird writes:
>> On each system, .emacs has one line:
>>
>> (load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/emacs_startup.el")
>> (load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/gnus_startup.el")
>>
>> Is this workable?

> The first question that comes to mind is "Did it work?"
>
> If it works, then it is certainly workable...

:-))

I can't speak for dropbox, but I have in the past had startup and .org
files on mydrive.ch that I wanted to share between work and home, and
it was okay. Slower than local files of course, but okay.

Actually what I did was use symlinks to the remote files, so the
.emacs.el looked like it normally would.