all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6225: Please add a hook for `isearch-process-search-string'
@ 2010-05-19 23:53 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-19 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 6225

There is AFAICS no way to currently trigger actions when isearch
search string changes.

I think it would be useful to have a hook for this. Some things that
you could do would for example

- Sync with external apps (I currently want to sync with display in Firefox).

- Show matches in buffers displayed in other windows on the same frame
could sometimes be useful.

Could we please add such a hook? I think the place to run it is in

@ 2010-05-20  0:07 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2010-05-20  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6225

> There is AFAICS no way to currently trigger actions when isearch
> search string changes.
>
> I think it would be useful to have a hook for this. Some things that
> you could do would for example
>
> - Sync with external apps (I currently want to sync with display in Firefox).
>
> - Show matches in buffers displayed in other windows on the same frame
> could sometimes be useful.
>
> Could we please add such a hook? I think the place to run it is in
> `isearch-process-search-string'.

I think this will help you:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* bug#6225: Please add a hook for `isearch-process-search-string'
@ 2010-05-20  0:17   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-20  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: 6225

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:
>> There is AFAICS no way to currently trigger actions when isearch
>> search string changes.
>>
>> I think it would be useful to have a hook for this. Some things that
>> you could do would for example
>>
>> - Sync with external apps (I currently want to sync with display in Firefox).
>>
>> - Show matches in buffers displayed in other windows on the same frame
>> could sometimes be useful.
>>
>> Could we please add such a hook? I think the place to run it is in
>> `isearch-process-search-string'.
>
> I think this will help you:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172

Thanks, but I am not sure... ;-)

It mentions a hook named isearch-update-post-hook. I can't find any
such hook. Is it there? What does it do?

* bug#6225: Please add a hook for `isearch-process-search-string'
@ 2010-05-20  0:25     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2010-05-20  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6225

>> I think this will help you:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172
>
> Thanks, but I am not sure... ;-)
>
> It mentions a hook named isearch-update-post-hook. I can't find any
> such hook. Is it there?

It was reverted due to the feature freeze:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172/focus=121190

It could be reinstalled now.

> What does it do?

I think it does what you want.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* bug#6225: Please add a hook for `isearch-process-search-string'
@ 2010-05-20  0:35       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-20  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: 6225

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:
>>> I think this will help you:
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172
>>
>> Thanks, but I am not sure... ;-)
>>
>> It mentions a hook named isearch-update-post-hook. I can't find any
>> such hook. Is it there?
>
> It was reverted due to the feature freeze:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172/focus=121190
>
> It could be reinstalled now.
>
>> What does it do?
>
> I think it does what you want.

Sounds good (but I proposed the change for using
isearch-process-search-string with the purpose to make such a patch to
be possible/simple).

* bug#6225: Please add a hook for `isearch-process-search-string'
@ 2010-05-20  0:45         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2010-05-20  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6225

>>> It mentions a hook named isearch-update-post-hook. I can't find any
>>> such hook. Is it there?
>>
>> It was reverted due to the feature freeze:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172/focus=121190
>>
>> It could be reinstalled now.
>>
>>> What does it do?
>>
>> I think it does what you want.
>
> Sounds good (but I proposed the change for using
> isearch-process-search-string with the purpose to make such a patch to
> be possible/simple).

It seems `isearch-update-post-hook' is better than a hook
for `isearch-process-search-string', no?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* bug#6225: Please add a hook for `isearch-process-search-string'
@ 2010-05-20  0:57           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-20  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: 6225

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

>>> It was reverted due to the feature freeze:
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121172/focus=121190
>>>
>>> It could be reinstalled now.

>>> I think it does what you want.
>>
>> Sounds good (but I proposed the change for using
>> isearch-process-search-string with the purpose to make such a patch to
>> be possible/simple).
>
> It seems `isearch-update-post-hook' is better than a hook
> for `isearch-process-search-string', no?

Ah thanks, yes. You are right. I just did not find it.

* bug#6225: Please add a hook for `isearch-process-search-string'
@ 2010-05-20 22:19             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2010-05-20 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6225-done

>>> Sounds good (but I proposed the change for using
>>> isearch-process-search-string with the purpose to make such a patch to
>>> be possible/simple).
>>
>> It seems `isearch-update-post-hook' is better than a hook
>> for `isearch-process-search-string', no?
>
> Ah thanks, yes. You are right. I just did not find it.

I reinstalled the patch of Mark A. Hershberger.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/