all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Magit very slow
@ 2010-08-12 14:22 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I love magit, it's really nice to see all the changes and commit in such
a smart way.
But sometimes when there are many files or many changes is terribly
slow, it takes minutes instead of seconds that really take to git to do
the same thing from the shell.

Am I the only one experiencing it or is a common problem?

* Re: Magit very slow
@ 2010-08-12 15:13 ` Andrea Crotti
       [not found] ` <mailman.6.1281626037.22482.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-12 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I love magit, it's really nice to see all the changes and commit in such
> a smart way.
> But sometimes when there are many files or many changes is terribly
> slow, it takes minutes instead of seconds that really take to git to do
> the same thing from the shell.
>
> Am I the only one experiencing it or is a common problem?

And another thing, with the very last version of magit I can't push

Here is what ie executes, maybe something wrong with the destination

$ git --no-pager push -v origin master:origin
Pushing to git@github:AndreaCrotti/Emacs-configuration.git
Everything up-to-date
Git finished.

* Re: Magit very slow
       [not found] ` <mailman.6.1281626037.22482.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-12 17:52   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:13:29 +0200 Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

AC> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>> I love magit, it's really nice to see all the changes and commit in such
>> a smart way.
>> But sometimes when there are many files or many changes is terribly
>> slow, it takes minutes instead of seconds that really take to git to do
>> the same thing from the shell.
>>
>> Am I the only one experiencing it or is a common problem?

AC> And another thing, with the very last version of magit I can't push

AC> Here is what ie executes, maybe something wrong with the destination
AC> $ git --no-pager push -v origin master:origin
AC> Pushing to git@github:AndreaCrotti/Emacs-configuration.git
AC> Everything up-to-date
AC> Git finished.

You should talk to the Magit developers.  The mailing list is available
either at http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git.magit or
by subscribing to it.

Ted

* Re: Magit very slow
       [not found] ` <mailman.6.1281626037.22482.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-12 23:26 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-08-12 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Andrea Crotti

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I love magit, it's really nice to see all the changes and commit in such
> a smart way.
> But sometimes when there are many files or many changes is terribly
> slow, it takes minutes instead of seconds that really take to git to do
> the same thing from the shell.
>
> Am I the only one experiencing it or is a common problem?

Platform, magit version, emacs version, git version?

It works very well for me on working copies of  approx. 10000 files on
GNU/Linux. On Windows it is slower, but still very usable.

This could be better addressed on magit's mailing list.

* Re: Magit very slow
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-08-13  1:19 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-08-13  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I love magit, it's really nice to see all the changes and commit in such
> a smart way.
> But sometimes when there are many files or many changes is terribly
> slow, it takes minutes instead of seconds that really take to git to do
> the same thing from the shell.
>
> Am I the only one experiencing it or is a common problem?

Yes, magit for me is often very slow compared to using git from the
command line. An example of a slow command is log ('l'). Certainly
doesn't stop me using it all the time, but it can be slow. Making sure
.gitignore ignores as much as possible can help.

Dan

emacs 23.2.1
magit commit 6838ae1 (July 28)
ubuntu 10.04
Dell Mini 10v

* Re: Magit very slow
@ 2010-08-13  7:23   ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-08-13  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Andrea Crotti

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I love magit, it's really nice to see all the changes and commit in such
>> a smart way.
>> But sometimes when there are many files or many changes is terribly
>> slow, it takes minutes instead of seconds that really take to git to do
>> the same thing from the shell.
>>
>> Am I the only one experiencing it or is a common problem?
>
> Yes, magit for me is often very slow compared to using git from the
> command line. An example of a slow command is log ('l'). Certainly
> doesn't stop me using it all the time, but it can be slow. Making sure
> .gitignore ignores as much as possible can help.

Having a line like :

/*

on .gitignore will make it ignore everything so you can add on demand,
and about the original question magit isnt slow here i think.

> Dan
>
> emacs 23.2.1
> magit commit 6838ae1 (July 28)
> ubuntu 10.04
> Dell Mini 10v

* Re: Magit very slow
@ 2010-08-13  8:43     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com> writes:

>> Yes, magit for me is often very slow compared to using git from the
>> command line. An example of a slow command is log ('l'). Certainly
>> doesn't stop me using it all the time, but it can be slow. Making sure
>> .gitignore ignores as much as possible can help.
>>

> Having a line like :
>
> /*
>
> on .gitignore will make it ignore everything so you can add on demand,
> and about the original question magit isnt slow here i think.

Yes thanks a lot that what I wanted, doing it globally is much better
and now is very fast.
I never stage from there anyway.

* Re: Magit very slow
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-08-25 13:43 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-25 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-08-12 15:22 +0100, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I love magit, it's really nice to see all the changes and commit in
> such a smart way. But sometimes when there are many files or many
> changes is terribly slow, it takes minutes instead of seconds that
> really take to git to do the same thing from the shell.
>
> Am I the only one experiencing it or is a common problem?

There are situations where you will notice the slowness for example
re-writing from a few hundred commits back. I think it has something to
do with how magit does its sectioning. The time isn't spent in executing
the real git commands.

Leo

* Re: Magit very slow
       [not found] <mailman.1.1281622991.22482.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-05-27 17:51 ` George Keith
From: George Keith @ 2011-05-27 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have this problem too...  Even for very simple commands (stage/unstage of a small file), magit takes 3 seconds.  Commandline git is nearly instantaneous for the same command.