all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: EmacsClient: using both --eval and --alternate-editor, possible?
       [not found] <56b87357-849d-4189-9c3e-abf96ae4064e@t7g2000vbj.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-11-12 19:19 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-11-12 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I think there is a conflict between --eval and --alternate-editor
> option in EmacsClient.  If Emacs is not running and thus --eval fails,
> the EDITOR indicated with --alternate-editor is called instead.
> However, such EDITOR gets an ELisp expression, which it can't handle.
> Is there a way around this, other than wrapping EmacsClient into a
> script?

Obviously, you need to patch this other editor to make it understand
elisp.  This is indeed an awful but that need immediate action.  Either
you integrate elisp in that alternate editor, or you rm it.

* Re: EmacsClient: using both --eval and --alternate-editor, possible?
@ 2010-11-13 13:25   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-11-13 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think there is a conflict between --eval and --alternate-editor
>> option in EmacsClient.  If Emacs is not running and thus --eval fails,
>> the EDITOR indicated with --alternate-editor is called instead.
>> However, such EDITOR gets an ELisp expression, which it can't handle.
>> Is there a way around this, other than wrapping EmacsClient into a
>> script?
>
> Obviously, you need to patch this other editor to make it understand
> elisp.  This is indeed an awful but that need immediate action.  Either
> you integrate elisp in that alternate editor, or you rm it.

Or alternatively, and much more useful and helpful, if emacs uses the
alternative editor then it doesnt pass the eval statement to that other
editor since it knows the elisp eval statement is useless..

* Re: EmacsClient: using both --eval and --alternate-editor, possible?
@ 2010-11-13 13:36     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-11-13 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>
>> Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I think there is a conflict between --eval and --alternate-editor
>>> option in EmacsClient.  If Emacs is not running and thus --eval fails,
>>> the EDITOR indicated with --alternate-editor is called instead.
>>> However, such EDITOR gets an ELisp expression, which it can't handle.
>>> Is there a way around this, other than wrapping EmacsClient into a
>>> script?
>>
>> Obviously, you need to patch this other editor to make it understand
>> elisp.  This is indeed an awful but that need immediate action.  Either
>> you integrate elisp in that alternate editor, or you rm it.
>
> Or alternatively, and much more useful and helpful, if emacs uses the
> alternative editor then it doesnt pass the eval statement to that other
> editor since it knows the elisp eval statement is useless..

This is silly.  Obviously, the alternate editor is also an emacs.

For example:

/opt/local/bin/emacsclient --alternate-editor=/usr/bin/emacs -e '(emacs-version)'

if for some reason the X11 emacs provided by MacPorts is not available,
I fallback to the bare terminal emacs provided by Apple.

* Re: EmacsClient: using both --eval and --alternate-editor, possible?
@ 2010-11-13 14:21   ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-11-13 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

While looking for ways to cut out the Elisp code and passing just the
file-name, I found out that you can customize `server-*' functions and
variables, thus achieving the goal of moving the Elisp code from
EmacsClient's command line to Emacs itself.

Once again, Emacs had it sorted out already ^_^