all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Query emacs to find if it was built with X support?
@ 2011-04-09  9:46 Robert Knighten
From: Robert Knighten @ 2011-04-09  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The subject tells it all.  Is there some way to query a pre-built emacs
to find out if it was built with X support?

-- Bob

* Re: Query emacs to find if it was built with X support?
@ 2011-04-09  9:58 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2011-04-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Knighten <RLK@knighten.org> writes:

> The subject tells it all.  Is there some way to query a pre-built emacs
> to find out if it was built with X support?

Possibly
(assq 'x window-system-initialization-alist)

--
David Kastrup

* Loadable extensions (Was: Query emacs to find if it was built with X support?)
@ 2011-04-09 21:15   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-04-09 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 9, 2011, at 4:58 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> Robert Knighten <RLK@knighten.org> writes:
>
>> The subject tells it all.  Is there some way to query a pre-built emacs
>> to find out if it was built with X support?
>
> Possibly
> (assq 'x window-system-initialization-alist)

Has anyone in Emacs-land (where everyone is happy and smiles) thought about loadable extensions?

I often build emacs for AIX and put it out for others to use.  It is a kinda of conflict for me to determine how much nifty stuff to build into it because the more I build into it, the more libraries the other users must have.  It would be awesome if that was not the case.  If libraries like TIFF and so many more could be snapped in if they were needed and they were on the system.  I think to do this, emacs would have to be more system dependent than it is on the way libraries work.  And, it may be that only a few people would benefit.

pedz

* Re: Loadable extensions (Was: Query emacs to find if it was built with X support?)
@ 2011-04-09 21:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-09 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:15:44 -0500
>
> Has anyone in Emacs-land (where everyone is happy and smiles) thought about loadable extensions?

Yes.  This is how the Windows port of Emacs works from day one, and
now we have the infrastructure for that available for other platforms,
see dynamic-library-alist in Emacs 24.  What remains is to use this
for platforms other than Windows.  Patches welcome.

* Re: Loadable extensions (Was: Query emacs to find if it was built with X support?)
@ 2011-04-09 21:34       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-04-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 9, 2011, at 4:25 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:15:44 -0500
>>
>> Has anyone in Emacs-land (where everyone is happy and smiles) thought about loadable extensions?
>
> Yes.  This is how the Windows port of Emacs works from day one, and
> now we have the infrastructure for that available for other platforms,
> see dynamic-library-alist in Emacs 24.  What remains is to use this
> for platforms other than Windows.  Patches welcome.

Excellent... I need to get on the developers list to learn how to pull down the code, etc.  The version I run on AIX needs a face lift anyway :-)

pedz

* Re: Query emacs to find if it was built with X support?
@ 2011-04-10  2:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-10  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Robert Knighten <RLK@knighten.org>
> Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 02:46:44 -0700
>
> The subject tells it all.  Is there some way to query a pre-built emacs
> to find out if it was built with X support?

(featurep 'x)