David Engster writes: > Stefan Monnier writes: >>>> However, this workaraound assumes that everything that gets afterwards >>>> in the `let'-section does not depend on file name handlers. However, >>>> this is not the case: `url-http-handle-authentication' is called which > >>>> in turn calls the auth-source package. This package however supports >>>> encrypted authinfo files which have to be automatically decrypted >>>> through `auto-encryption-mode'. This, of course, works through file name >>>> handlers. >>> Does it work, if Tramp is disabled instead? >> >> I think I'd first like to better understand bug#6717: why do we take >> a local part of a URL, let it start with / and then pass it to >> file-name-directory? That sounds like a problem in itself. > > I agree. I wonder which call to `file-name-directory' threw the error in > the original report - the most likely candidate is `url-file-directory', > which should simply be rewritten to not use `file-name-directory'. Patch attached. It even fixes another bug along the way: `url-file-(non)directory' would not work on hexified URLs. I'm not 100% sure this also fixes bug #6717; it might be that there's another file-* call lurking somewhere. -David