all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Compiled regexp?
@ 2013-01-31 13:40 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-31 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Christopher Schmidt, Carsten Dominik

After Christopher submitted a patch for org-mode, Carsten and him
discussed the difference between these two patterns:

  ;; Concat in defconst
  (defconst my-pattern (concat "^" "xyz"))
  (re-search-forward my-pattern ...)

  ;; Concat in re-search-forward
  (defconst my-partial-pattern "xyz")
  (re-search-forward (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) ...)

Both Carsten and I thought there was some optimization done
by Emacs so that the first pattern is more efficient than the
second one.  (concat "^" "xyz") would be "cached", not eval'ed
each time you search for my-pattern.

Christopher pointed to compiled_pattern in the C part of Emacs,
suggesting that there would be no difference between the two
in terms of performance.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

 Bastien

* Re: Compiled regexp?
@ 2013-01-31 14:08 ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2013-01-31 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
> After Christopher submitted a patch for org-mode, Carsten and him
> discussed the difference between these two patterns:
>
>   ;; Concat in defconst
>   (defconst my-pattern (concat "^" "xyz"))
>   (re-search-forward my-pattern ...)
>
>   ;; Concat in re-search-forward
>   (defconst my-partial-pattern "xyz")
>   (re-search-forward (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) ...)
>
> Both Carsten and I thought there was some optimization done
> by Emacs so that the first pattern is more efficient than the
> second one.  (concat "^" "xyz") would be "cached", not eval'ed
> each time you search for my-pattern.

No, this is not what we discussed.  re-search-forward is a regular
function and eval'ing (re-search-forward (concat "^" my-partial-pattern)
...) will result in concat being eval'ed, too.  The overhead is
negligible, though.

We discussed how cached compiled regexps are looked up, i.e. per object
or per content.  If the former were true, (re-search-forward (concat "^"
my-partial-pattern) ...) would result in the regular expression being
compiled each and every time because concat returns a new lisp object.
That's slow.

I pointed out that this is does not look meaningful to me.  Ultimately I
took a glimpse at the code.  compile_pattern in search.c compares
the regexps using Fstring_equal.

        Christopher

* Re: Compiled regexp?
@ 2013-01-31 14:11   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-31 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Christopher Schmidt <christopher@ch.ristopher.com> writes:

> We discussed how cached compiled regexps are looked up, i.e. per object
> or per content.  If the former were true, (re-search-forward (concat "^"
> my-partial-pattern) ...) would result in the regular expression being
> compiled each and every time because concat returns a new lisp object.
> That's slow.

Yes, that's what I tried to say, thanks for clarifying it.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Compiled regexp?
@ 2013-01-31 14:26 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-01-31 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Christopher Schmidt, Carsten Dominik, emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> After Christopher submitted a patch for org-mode, Carsten and him
> discussed the difference between these two patterns:
>
>   ;; Concat in defconst
>   (defconst my-pattern (concat "^" "xyz"))
>   (re-search-forward my-pattern ...)
>
>   ;; Concat in re-search-forward
>   (defconst my-partial-pattern "xyz")
>   (re-search-forward (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) ...)
>
> Both Carsten and I thought there was some optimization done
> by Emacs so that the first pattern is more efficient than the
> second one.  (concat "^" "xyz") would be "cached", not eval'ed
> each time you search for my-pattern.

The first pattern evaluates (concat "^" "xyz") once when my-pattern is
defined.  The second case evalutes (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) each
time the containing sexp is evaluated.  Other than that there is no
difference wrt. re-search-forward.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Compiled regexp?
@ 2013-01-31 14:42   ` Dominik, Carsten
From: Dominik, Carsten @ 2013-01-31 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab
  Cc: Bastien, Christopher Schmidt, Dominik, Carsten,
	<emacs-devel@gnu.org>

On 31 jan. 2013, at 15:26, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
 wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> After Christopher submitted a patch for org-mode, Carsten and him
>> discussed the difference between these two patterns:
>>
>>  ;; Concat in defconst
>>  (defconst my-pattern (concat "^" "xyz"))
>>  (re-search-forward my-pattern ...)
>>
>>  ;; Concat in re-search-forward
>>  (defconst my-partial-pattern "xyz")
>>  (re-search-forward (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) ...)
>>
>> Both Carsten and I thought there was some optimization done
>> by Emacs so that the first pattern is more efficient than the
>> second one.  (concat "^" "xyz") would be "cached", not eval'ed
>> each time you search for my-pattern.
>
> The first pattern evaluates (concat "^" "xyz") once when my-pattern is
> defined.  The second case evalutes (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) each
> time the containing sexp is evaluated.  Other than that there is no
> difference wrt. re-search-forward.

Hi Andreas, thanks for the reply.  Just to double-check, I rephrase the question:

Caching of compiled regular expression keys in on string contents, not on a particular string object (so the cache looks for an earlier compiled string with (something like0 `equal' not with `eq').  Is this correct?  Because the difference between the two procedures shown above is that in the first case, the same lisp object enters the re-search-forward, while in the second case it is a different string of equal content each time.

Thank you.

- Carsten

* Re: Compiled regexp?
@ 2013-01-31 15:28 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-01-31 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Christopher Schmidt, Carsten Dominik, emacs-devel

>   ;; Concat in defconst
>   (defconst my-pattern (concat "^" "xyz"))
>   (re-search-forward my-pattern ...)
-vs-
>   ;; Concat in re-search-forward
>   (defconst my-partial-pattern "xyz")
>   (re-search-forward (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) ...)
[...]
> Can anyone confirm this is the case?

The second will incur the additional cost of the `concat' at each
iteration, obviously, but other than that the current Emacs code will
not take advantage of the fact that the same string is passed in the
first code, whereas a new string is use in the second.

I don't forsee the Emacs code changing such that it's significantly more
efficient to reuse the exact same string rather than a copy of it.

If we ever try to do something to avoid the cost of re-compiling
a regexp, I'd expect that we'd provide a way to have explicit access to
compiled regexps (with a `regexp-compile' function, the result of which
would be accepted by re-search-forward as an alternative to a string).

        Stefan "Who generally prefers the first form"

* Re: Compiled regexp?
@ 2013-01-31 15:34   ` Dominik, Carsten
From: Dominik, Carsten @ 2013-01-31 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier
  Cc: Bastien, Christopher Schmidt, Dominik, Carsten,
	<emacs-devel@gnu.org>

On 31 jan. 2013, at 16:28, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
 wrote:

>>  ;; Concat in defconst
>>  (defconst my-pattern (concat "^" "xyz"))
>>  (re-search-forward my-pattern ...)
> -vs-
>>  ;; Concat in re-search-forward
>>  (defconst my-partial-pattern "xyz")
>>  (re-search-forward (concat "^" my-partial-pattern) ...)
> [...]
>> Can anyone confirm this is the case?
>
> The second will incur the additional cost of the `concat' at each
> iteration, obviously, but other than that the current Emacs code will
> not take advantage of the fact that the same string is passed in the
> first code, whereas a new string is use in the second.

OK, this is clear, thank you very much.

- Carsten

@ 2013-01-31 15:55   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2013-01-31 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Bastien, Christopher Schmidt, emacs-devel, Carsten Dominik

Stefan> If we ever try to do something to avoid the cost of re-compiling
Stefan> a regexp, I'd expect that we'd provide a way to have explicit access to
Stefan> compiled regexps (with a `regexp-compile' function, the result of which
Stefan> would be accepted by re-search-forward as an alternative to a string).

Back when I did some emacs profiling, regexp compilation didn't show up
in the top 5.  Regexp matching did, though.  I wasn't specifically
looking at regexp performance, though, so I didn't try to isolate the
effects of the compiled-regexp cache.

Tom