On Mon, May 13 2013, Robert Park wrote: > What's this then? Is this a debian package dedicated to emacs > snapshots? I honestly wasn't aware of this branch at all; I'd been > referring to the packaging for emacs24 that ubuntu imports from > debian. It's the Debian package for emacs-snapshot that has been distributed for years in Debian, and in Ubuntu via Damien Cassou. > Hmmm, nope. The debian/rules that I've been referring to is 629 lines > (compared to 166 for mine). So it seems we are talking about different > things ;-) I didn't count the comments. > Admittedly I did come up with that original figure by doing a > quickndirty 'find|xargs wc -l' and it did include the changelog, > there's still a lot of cruft that I am rebelling against. Like 800 > lines worth of distropatching just to rip out some GFDL stuff. I find > that kind of thing quite odious and pride myself on having a packaging > branch that has no distropatches at all ;-) I don't think you're talking about the emacs-snapshot package here? In emacs24 packages, that has to be since GFDL stuff aren't DFSG compliant. But we don't do this in emacs-snapshot packages, because we don't really care about this issue. > One of my major goals was Upstream Purity, so that people testing the > packages would be having an unadulterated trunk experience, hopefully > making bug reports more relevant and timely. Both the packaging branch > that you've linked and the one I've been referring to for emacs24 > contain a huge load of distropatches. Did you really read the actual patches? All patches are there to help having working default on a Debian system, plus a few to indicate which Debian's version of the package it is. And even if we had patches that would modify or fix upstream, a better job would be to make sure we don't have to need them anymore. > Now, I'm not opposed to porting some of the work I've done to improve > the existing packages, just that on the whole I was a bit overwhelmed > by the size of the existing packages and wanted to make something > leaner. I'm quite pleased with what I've achieved and I'm using it > every day, I uninstalled emacs24 package over a month ago and haven't > looked back ;-) No offense, but maybe you should consider that not understanding a whole actual package isn't necessary a sign that the package is convoluted, but may be a sign you lack some knowledge to understand everything? Anyway, I'd be glad you'd help to improve the existing package rather than building something new and half-baked. -- Julien Danjou ;; Free Software hacker ; freelance consultant ;; http://julien.danjou.info