all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* print buffer with word wrap
@ 2014-04-27 23:45 Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-04-27 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm a beginning Emacs user who'd like to print a buffer. The buffer is a
letter to a friend, and at present when I use M-x print-buffer or
M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces there's no word wrap.

I've looked around a little and have seen some people recommending
enscript, but it seems complicated for me, and I really don't need
anything beyond basic margins and word wrap.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
steven arntson

* Re: print buffer with word wrap
       [not found] <mailman.137.1398643221.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-28  0:21 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-04-28  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> I've looked around a little and have seen some people
> recommending enscript, but it seems complicated for
> me, and I really don't need anything beyond basic
> margins and word wrap.

There are many ways to do that. Manually, place the
cursor (or "point") somewhere in a too-long line, and
press M-q (for `fill-paragraph'). If you like it,
consider enabling `auto-fill-mode' - that way, Emacs
will fill for you, when you type.

You can setup line width with the variable
`fill-column' - for example like this, in ~/.emacs

(setq fill-column 55)

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: print buffer with word wrap
@ 2014-04-28  1:20   ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-04-28  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> I've looked around a little and have seen some people
>> recommending enscript, but it seems complicated for
>> me, and I really don't need anything beyond basic
>> margins and word wrap.
>
> There are many ways to do that. Manually, place the
> cursor (or "point") somewhere in a too-long line, and
> press M-q (for `fill-paragraph'). If you like it,
> consider enabling `auto-fill-mode' - that way, Emacs
> will fill for you, when you type.
>
> You can setup line width with the variable
> `fill-column' - for example like this, in ~/.emacs
>
> (setq fill-column 55)

M-q worked like a charm! Letter printed and mailed. Thank you!
-steven