all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting used to Calc's Radian convention
@ 2014-09-12  6:47 H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-09-12  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Jay Belanger

Hello (:-),

Calc's unit convention of revolution per minute (rpm) is derived from
the angular speed and not from a frequency.  One does not need to type
the factor of `2 pi' when calculating, for example, the circumferential
velocity from the radius and some value in rpm.  So far so good.

But it has the slight aesthetic drawback that now the velocity turns out
to be in units of radians.

n <- 1 rpm
r <- 1 m
n r -> 2 pi rad m / min

Since Radian is a base unit I can only get rid of it when dividing by
`rad'.  But I think a Radian is not a real physical unit and wouldn't it
be consistent, when evaluating, to assign just the value of 1 to it?

What are your thoughts?

     Dieter
--
best wishes