On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 23:14:06 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote: >> https://sites.google.com/site/itstheshappening/ > > I'm not sure why you're linking to that site? This was the recent paper describing the only SHA-1 collision which was directly addressed in Ballot 152 in determining whether to continue issuing SHA-1 certs through 2016: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-529-notes.pdf > The question isn't whether the NSA are able to do SHA-1 collisions > (which I think everybody assumes that they can, albeit expensively), but > whether they can create certificates. The jury is out on that one, and > many people think that it's not a thing (yet) (with certificates with > the recommended entropy in serial numbers and dates). That's all good when those suggestions are actually implemented. > https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-its-harder-to-forge-a-sha-1-certificate-than-it-is-to-find-a-sha-1-collision/ > >> Such a warning will not be bogus, and it would be a service to warn >> users even if others don't. > > It will almost certainly be bogus (now). Next year, perhaps not. SHA-1 is broken, which we can agree on. The proposal by CloudFlare to randomize serial numbers with at least 20 bits of entropy is a band aid atop of a broken cryptosystem. It should work for the meantime---for those CAs that actually implement it---but this is not an alternative to issuing SHA-2 certificates, and it won't help already issued certs. Personally, I prefer not to rely on bandages for my crypto. Since this mitigation attempt is dependent on CAs adopting it, that can only get _better_ with time. Considering SHA-1 to be broken (period), then presumably, a year from now, we'd only be in a better position if new SHA-1 certs are issued with a randomized serial number, given the relative increase in computing cost/power. We would be in a worse position for SHA-1 certs that haven't expired a year from now, since they'll be cheaper to exploit. CloudFlare also wrote about browser support for SHA-2: https://blog.cloudflare.com/sha-1-deprecation-no-browser-left-behind/ -- Mike Gerwitz Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer https://mikegerwitz.com FSF Member #5804 | GPG Key ID: 0x8EE30EAB