all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 11:27 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-25 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

Am running usually HG or RCS on my files. Now when I use vc-annotate
(GNU emacs 25.1.50), changes which occur in one day are not
distinguished.

I tried to use C-u vc-annotate specifying the time span to one day. I
even played a bit with the variable vc-annotate-color-map

But I was not successful.

Anybody has a suggestion?

Uwe Brauer

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 14:43 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2016-01-25 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 01/25/2016 02:27 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Am running usually HG or RCS on my files. Now when I use vc-annotate
> (GNU emacs 25.1.50), changes which occur in one day are not
> distinguished.

vc-annotate uses the dates in the output. Which were recently changed to
not include the time in Hg backend.

Other backends do the same, so I didn't think it to be a major problem.

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 15:08   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-25 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

   > On 01/25/2016 02:27 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Am running usually HG or RCS on my files. Now when I use vc-annotate
   >> (GNU emacs 25.1.50), changes which occur in one day are not
   >> distinguished.

   > vc-annotate uses the dates in the output. Which were recently
   > changed to not include the time in Hg backend.

Recently is when? Because I seem now to remember that the behavior was
different a while ago.

  > Other backends do the same, so I didn't think it to be a major problem.

Since I also changed from Xemacs to GNU emacs and from RCS to HG at the
same time some month ago, I can't say anything about RCS in GNU emacs.

I find the new behavior counter intuitive. Right now I have to check
almost every hour the changes I did in my files and vc-annotate does not
display those changes.

But the 3rd package ahg uses annotate in a way that looks more natural
to me, it is able to distinguish the different commits I made during a
day, but it lacks features vc-annotate offers.

Is there any way to have, at least optionally, such a behavior in
vc-annotate? Or am I the only one to complain....

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 15:17     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2016-01-25 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 01/25/2016 06:08 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>     > vc-annotate uses the dates in the output. Which were recently
>     > changed to not include the time in Hg backend.
>
> Recently is when? Because I seem now to remember that the behavior was
> different a while ago.

It was one of the changes you asked for (and received) in
http://debbugs.gnu.org/21805.

>    > Other backends do the same, so I didn't think it to be a major problem.
>
> Since I also changed from Xemacs to GNU emacs and from RCS to HG at the
> same time some month ago, I can't say anything about RCS in GNU emacs.

By "other backends", I meant Git and Bazaar.

> I find the new behavior counter intuitive. Right now I have to check
> almost every hour the changes I did in my files and vc-annotate does not
> display those changes.

It just fails to distinguish them with colors, right? The changes are
still displayed (say, with commit numbers on the side).

> But the 3rd package ahg uses annotate in a way that looks more natural
> to me, it is able to distinguish the different commits I made during a
> day, but it lacks features vc-annotate offers.

How does it look? Please send a screenshot.

> Is there any way to have, at least optionally, such a behavior in
> vc-annotate?

Having both short dates in the output and per-minute commit highlighting
granularity is not trivial to implement.

> Or am I the only one to complain....

So far - yes.

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 16:04       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-25 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

   > On 01/25/2016 06:08 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > It was one of the changes you asked for (and received) in http://debbugs.gnu.org/21805.

Misunderstanding. This new behavior is very nice.

   > By "other backends", I meant Git and Bazaar.

   > It just fails to distinguish them with colors, right? The changes are
   > still displayed (say, with commit numbers on the side).

That is all right, it is just about the colors:

Here is screenshot from ahg, and another from vc-annotate

[-- Attachment #2: vc-commit-vc.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 105208 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: vc-commit-ahg.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 102258 bytes --]

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 16:40         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2016-01-25 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 01/25/2016 07:04 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>     > It was one of the changes you asked for (and received) in http://debbugs.gnu.org/21805.
>
> Misunderstanding. This new behavior is very nice.

Yeah, but the colors depend on the time values in the output.

>     > It just fails to distinguish them with colors, right? The changes are
>     > still displayed (say, with commit numbers on the side).
>
> That is all right, it is just about the colors:
>
> Here is screenshot from ahg, and another from vc-annotate

This is interesting. Apparently, there's a bug that makes us highlight
commits from different days with the same color in your case.

Could you re-test with a build from emacs-25?

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 17:56           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-25 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > On 01/25/2016 07:04 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > Yeah, but the colors depend on the time values in the output.

    > This is interesting. Apparently, there's a bug that makes us highlight
    > commits from different days with the same color in your case.

    > Could you re-test with a build from emacs-25?

Well I am running emacs 25
emacs-version is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
Its value is "25.1.50.1"

emacs-repository-version is a variable defined in ‘version.el’.
Its value is "e2203fb3260d959661eba307db0e289143698c5e"

I also tried

 emacs -Q

But vc-annotate behaves as reported.

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-25 20:03             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-25 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 17:56:53 +0000
>

>     > On 01/25/2016 07:04 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
>     > Yeah, but the colors depend on the time values in the output.
>

>     > This is interesting. Apparently, there's a bug that makes us highlight
>     > commits from different days with the same color in your case.
>
>     > Could you re-test with a build from emacs-25?
>
> Well I am running emacs 25
> emacs-version is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
> Its value is "25.1.50.1"

No, you are running the master branch.  The emacs-25 branch identifies
itself as version 25.0.50.

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-26 10:03               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-26 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > No, you are running the master branch.  The emacs-25 branch identifies
    > itself as version 25.0.50.

Thanks for clarifying. Indeed I still have a 25.0.5 build around:

,----
| emacs-repository-version is a variable defined in ‘version.el’.
| Its value is "572f68ea292e7207ceab8bfe5af365204bfcb9d2"
`----

I installed it run emacs -Q and then vc-annotate and:

 In that version the colors were correctly displayed, that is changes
 within one day were displayed differently. This is not the case for
 emacs-master.

So that seems to me a bug in emacs-master, shall I file a BUG report?

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-26 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:03:53 +0000
>
> I installed it run emacs -Q and then vc-annotate and:
>
>  In that version the colors were correctly displayed, that is changes
>  within one day were displayed differently. This is not the case for
>  emacs-master.
>

> So that seems to me a bug in emacs-master, shall I file a BUG report?

Yes, please.

* Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
@ 2016-01-26 18:38                   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-26 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

   > Yes, please.