On Mon, Feb 29 2016, Glenn Morris wrote: > Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > >> Jameson Rollins writes: >> >>> This is a feature request more than a bug: I would really like to see >>> the ability to run the emacs server daemon ("emacs --daemon") in the >>> foreground. This would be very useful. I would like to be able to >>> start/control this daemon with a service supervisor (i.e. runit [0]). >>> This would allow me to easily start the daemon on system start up, and >>> have access to the daemon from all xsessions and virtual terminals. >> >> --daemon is a switch for running Emacs in the background. If you don't >> want Emacs running in the background, you don't have to do anything in >> particular. > > --daemon _should_ be a switch for running a "headless" Emacs. > The fact that it forks and runs in the background is not an essential > condition, and the justification for not doing so is provided in the > report. See eg "new-style daemons" on > https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/daemon.html > > I guess that systemd type = forking should be able to handle current > Emacs, but the above reference says that "new-style" daemons are > preferred. Glenn, than you very much for responding to this and reopening the bug (I was going to reopen as well). The issue is as you describe. There should at least be a way to operate the emacs server such that it does not fork, but just runs in a "headless" mode, with logs to stderr. This is the "new-style" that you're referring to, that is how all modern init systems handle daemons. Thanks for the consideration. jamie.