all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A package for common configuration options with use-package
@ 2017-03-07 16:55 Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-03-07 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnu Emacs Help

Hi,

I have started organizing my Emacs configuration with `use-package'. I
like to keep everything inside some or the other `use-package'
declaration. How do you deal with configuration that is in an Elisp file
that doesn't `provide` any symbol.

Narendra Joshi

* Re: A package for common configuration options with use-package
@ 2017-03-07 17:00 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-03-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi, Gnu Emacs Help

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have started organizing my Emacs configuration with `use-package'. I
> like to keep everything inside some or the other `use-package'
> declaration.

> How do you deal with configuration that is in an Elisp file
> that doesn't `provide` any symbol.

What would be such examples?
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: A package for common configuration options with use-package
@ 2017-03-07 17:47 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-03-07 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help

Narendra Joshi (2017-03-07 22:25 +0530) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have started organizing my Emacs configuration with `use-package'. I
> like to keep everything inside some or the other `use-package'
> declaration. How do you deal with configuration that is in an Elisp file
> that doesn't `provide` any symbol.

IIRC, you can use (use-package "foo" ...), where "foo.el" is the file
that does not provide a feature.

--
Alex

* Re: A package for common configuration options with use-package
@ 2017-03-07 18:45     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-03-07 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:42 PM Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What would be such examples?
> The variable `inhibit-splash-screen' from `startup.el'.

I am wondering how using use-package will benefit there..

You can simply put

(setq inhibit-startup-message t)

or even

(progn
  ;; more such setq
  (setq inhibit-startup-message t))

to group things together.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: A package for common configuration options with use-package
@ 2017-03-07 18:47   ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-03-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help

@ 2017-03-07 19:37       ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-03-07 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:42 PM Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     > What would be such examples?
>     The variable `inhibit-splash-screen' from `startup.el'.
>

> I am wondering how using use-package will benefit there..
I just happen to like doing it. No benefit, no loss.
I usually do:

(use-package feature
    :doc "Something about the config"
    ...)

> You can simply put
>
> (setq inhibit-startup-message t)
>
> or even
>
> (progn
>   ;; more such setq
>   (setq inhibit-startup-message t))
> to group things together.
Yes, this can be done. Thanks.

--

@ 2017-03-07 19:38   ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-03-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> Narendra Joshi (2017-03-07 22:25 +0530) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have started organizing my Emacs configuration with `use-package'. I
>> like to keep everything inside some or the other `use-package'
>> declaration. How do you deal with configuration that is in an Elisp file
>> that doesn't `provide` any symbol.
>
> IIRC, you can use (use-package "foo" ...), where "foo.el" is the file
> that does not provide a feature.

Sadly
(use-package startup
  ...)
didn't work for me.

The only way I think I can do this is to create empty Elisp files that
provide some feature.

--

@ 2017-03-09 13:18     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-03-09 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help

Narendra Joshi (2017-03-08 01:08 +0530) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Narendra Joshi (2017-03-07 22:25 +0530) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have started organizing my Emacs configuration with `use-package'. I
>>> like to keep everything inside some or the other `use-package'
>>> declaration. How do you deal with configuration that is in an Elisp file
>>> that doesn't `provide` any symbol.
>>
>> IIRC, you can use (use-package "foo" ...), where "foo.el" is the file
>> that does not provide a feature.
>
> Sadly
> (use-package startup
>   ...)
> didn't work for me.

I told about (use-package "foo" ...) not (use-package foo ...).  Did you
try (use-package "startup" ...)?

> The only way I think I can do this is to create empty Elisp files that
> provide some feature.

This looks like a redundant complication for me.  I agree with Kaushal,
that you can simply use:

  (setq inhibit-startup-message t)

without touching use-package at all.

--
Alex

* Re: A package for common configuration options with use-package
@ 2017-03-10 20:27       ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-03-10 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> Narendra Joshi (2017-03-08 01:08 +0530) wrote:
>
>> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

>>> IIRC, you can use (use-package "foo" ...), where "foo.el" is the file
>>> that does not provide a feature.
>>
>> Sadly
>> (use-package startup
>>   ...)
>> didn't work for me.
>
> I told about (use-package "foo" ...) not (use-package foo ...).  Did you
> try (use-package "startup" ...)?
No, I hadn't tried (use-package "foo"). I will try it thanks. :)

>> The only way I think I can do this is to create empty Elisp files that
>> provide some feature.
>
> This looks like a redundant complication for me.  I agree with Kaushal,
> that you can simply use:
>
>   (setq inhibit-startup-message t)
>
> without touching use-package at all.
Now, that I have moved most of my configuration into `use-package'
declarations, I agree with you and Kaushal to some extent.

--
Narendra Joshi