all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-04 21:44 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2018-10-04 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: alan

I back-ported the two macOS Mojave fixes to Emacs 25.
Please check my handiwork before I push it [1]

One user reported issues with the cursor leaving traces while scrolling [2], which I reproduced on a pre-Mojave machine, but not on my Mojave system.  I’m unclear whether that is also the case on the 26 branch.  I can try tomorrow unless someone else can comment.

[1] https://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs/tree/emacs25-mojave
[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rtt22lg0ddy07w/Aquamacs%20cursor.mov?dl=0

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-05  6:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-10-05  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: alan, emacs-devel

> From: David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 17:44:39 -0400
> Cc: alan@idiocy.org
>
> I back-ported the two macOS Mojave fixes to Emacs 25.
> Please check my handiwork before I push it [1]

Thanks, but there will be no more Emacs 25 releases, so pushing the
changes there is rather pointless.

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-05  7:29   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-10-05  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

> there will be no more Emacs 25 releases

What a bummer.

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-05  8:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-10-05  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Van L; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 17:29:07 +1000
>
> > there will be no more Emacs 25 releases
>
> What a bummer.

??? Why a bummer?  Emacs 26.1 is already out, and it's standing Emacs
policy not to keep emacs-N branches active once Emacs M.1 was
released, where M > N.  We only make exceptions when we uncover a
critical security issue with prior versions; otherwise we simply tell
users to upgrade their Emacs.

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-05 10:15       ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-10-05 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

>>> there will be no more Emacs 25 releases
>>
>> What a bummer.
>
> ??? Why a bummer?  Emacs 26.1 is already out, and it's standing Emacs
> policy not to keep emacs-N branches active once Emacs M.1 was
> released, where M > N.  We only make exceptions when we uncover a
> critical security issue with prior versions; otherwise we simply tell
> users to upgrade their Emacs.

This 25 Emacs fixes backport corrects a showstopper, it lets 25 Emacs to install is my guess.

People should be "free" to operate which ever version of Emacs they feel is comfortably Perfect for their needs.

I am trying 25.3 in the search for less gratuitous schleps in the ui-experience without having to accumulate non default settings.

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-05 12:16         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-10-05 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Van L; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 20:15:23 +1000
>
> People should be "free" to operate which ever version of Emacs they feel is comfortably Perfect for their needs.

That is ideally a worthy goal, but I don't think we have the resources
to make that happen any time soon.  Motivated individuals are welcome
to produce patches versions of past Emacs releases; after all, the
repository is a public one and freely accessible.

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-05 12:26         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-10-05 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Van L; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Van L <van@scratch.space> writes:

>>> What a bummer.
>>
>> ??? Why a bummer?  Emacs 26.1 is already out, and it's standing Emacs
>> policy not to keep emacs-N branches active once Emacs M.1 was
>> released, where M > N.  We only make exceptions when we uncover a
>> critical security issue with prior versions; otherwise we simply tell
>> users to upgrade their Emacs.
>
> This 25 Emacs fixes backport corrects a showstopper, it lets 25 Emacs to install is my guess.
>
> People should be "free" to operate which ever version of Emacs they feel is comfortably Perfect for their needs.

Nobody is suggesting that you are not allowed to run Emacs 25 + this
patch. All Eli is saying is that there won't be an official release
with it in.

Robert

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-06  2:31           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-10-06  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: van, emacs-devel

One of the advantages of developing free software is that no one can
claim we have an obligation to improve any particular aspect of it.
We aren't stopping anyone else from doing that work.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Emacs 25 Mojave fixes backport
@ 2018-10-06  2:39           ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-10-06  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

> Nobody is suggesting that you are not allowed to run Emacs 25 + this
> patch. All Eli is saying is that there won't be an official release
> with it in.

The point is not only about me. Oh well… shrug.