all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Why there is no key in the *Help* buffer to bring up the relevant info page?
@ 2019-07-22 18:06 ndame
From: ndame @ 2019-07-22 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> How about filing a feature-request bug report about this?

I may do that, I just asked here, because it seemed strange that
the help buffer missed such a basic feature, though I think many
elisp developers like me wanted to navigate to info from help in
the past.

And also, I very often go to the source code of a function from
Help to peruse it, so the s key (also unbound) could go to the
source code quickly.

Emacs uses single key bindings extensively elsewhere where the
buffer is read only, so it's curious the addition of such quick
keys did not come up before during the long history of emacs development.

* Re: Why there is no key in the *Help* buffer to bring up the relevant info page?
@ 2019-07-22 18:56 ndame
From: ndame @ 2019-07-22 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> You might be interested on this:
>
> https://github.com/Wilfred/helpful

Yes, thank you, I found it recently and it seems more featureful than
the built in Help. Maybe the author should be asked to sign FSF papers
if he hasn't yet done so and submit his code to replace the default
Help.

* Why there is no key in the *Help* buffer to bring up the relevant info page?
@ 2019-07-22 15:37 ndame
From: ndame @ 2019-07-22 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Often when I get help for a builtin function, I want to know more
about it, so I want to see the info page, but there is no key for
that. I can go to the symbol at the top and press C-h S or I can
add a local binding for this, but why isn't there a binding for
this already?

The buffer is read only and the binding of i is unused, so
wouldn't it make sense to add it as a quick way to open the
relevant info page?