all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-23 12:12 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-03-23 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to get either nnml or nnimap split across backends?

I've investigating moving toward nnimap by default (so I can use webmail
alongside Gnus); I get email from two IMAP backends and would like to be
filter from them into two places. I also thought about handling my
"news" (i.e. mailing lists) locally rather than on an nnimap, but for
this I need to be able to take stuff out of an nnimap box and put it
into an nnml one?

Finally, with nnimap splitting, the default group is "bogus". How I
specific "don't do anything with the message, but leave it where it
is"?

Phil

* Re: gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-23 17:14 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-03-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> Is there a way to get either nnml or nnimap split across backends?

Not that I know of, but I too would love to be able to split across
backends, e.g. from one nnimap backend to another, or from an nnimap
backend to an nnfolder one perhaps.

[...]

> Finally, with nnimap splitting, the default group is "bogus". How I
> specific "don't do anything with the message, but leave it where it
> is"?

I manually specify the name of the inbox like so:

(nnimap "gnu"
        ;; [...]
        (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
        (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
        (nnimap-split-fancy (|
                             ;; [...]
                             ;; otherwise, leave mail in INBOX
                             "INBOX")))

Not sure if there's a better way.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-24 18:14   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-03-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to get either nnml or nnimap split across backends?
>>

> Not that I know of, but I too would love to be able to split across
> backends, e.g. from one nnimap backend to another, or from an nnimap
> backend to an nnfolder one perhaps.

Yes, and I don't understand why not. I wonder how big a fix it would be.

> [...]
>

>> Finally, with nnimap splitting, the default group is "bogus". How I
>> specific "don't do anything with the message, but leave it where it
>> is"?
>>

> I manually specify the name of the inbox like so:
>
> (nnimap "gnu"
>         ;; [...]
>         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>         (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
>         (nnimap-split-fancy (|
>                              ;; [...]
>                              ;; otherwise, leave mail in INBOX
>                              "INBOX")))
>
> Not sure if there's a better way.

And does that work? I mean it doesn't remove the message and then read
add it or some such? I presume that splitting only happens over unread
messages, because I use "inbox infinite" -- so I get a lot of messages
there.

* Re: gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-24 20:10     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-03-24 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Lars Ingebrigtsen, Eric Abrahamsen

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Is there a way to get either nnml or nnimap split across backends?
>>>

>> Not that I know of, but I too would love to be able to split across
>> backends, e.g. from one nnimap backend to another, or from an nnimap
>> backend to an nnfolder one perhaps.
>

> Yes, and I don't understand why not. I wonder how big a fix it would be.

I have no idea.  Lars, Eric, what do you think?

>> [...]
>>

>>> Finally, with nnimap splitting, the default group is "bogus". How I
>>> specific "don't do anything with the message, but leave it where it
>>> is"?
>>>

>> I manually specify the name of the inbox like so:
>>
>> (nnimap "gnu"
>>         ;; [...]
>>         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>>         (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
>>         (nnimap-split-fancy (|
>>                              ;; [...]
>>                              ;; otherwise, leave mail in INBOX
>>                              "INBOX")))
>>
>> Not sure if there's a better way.
>
> And does that work? I mean it doesn't remove the message and then read
> add it or some such? I presume that splitting only happens over unread
> messages, because I use "inbox infinite" -- so I get a lot of messages
> there.

Yeah it works fine for me, at least for nnimap, I'd imagine because of
C-h v nnimap-unsplittable-articles RET, defaulting to '(%Deleted %Seen),
meaning that messages marked as deleted or read should not be subject to
splitting.  That said, I think an explicit "do nothing" rule would be
nice indeed.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-24 21:20       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-03-24 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

>> Yes, and I don't understand why not. I wonder how big a fix it would be.
>
> I have no idea.  Lars, Eric, what do you think?

The way splitting happens is that it happens inside the backend.  So the
splitting would have to be reorganised to happen in Gnus instead for
that to work.

* Re: gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-25 22:00         ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-03-25 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, help-gnu-emacs

> Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> Yes, and I don't understand why not. I wonder how big a fix it would be.
>>
>> I have no idea.  Lars, Eric, what do you think?
>
> The way splitting happens is that it happens inside the backend.  So the
> splitting would have to be reorganised to happen in Gnus instead for
> that to work.

Ah, unfortunate. Could it just be as simple as returning a lambda
instead of a group name? Although as you describe I guess this would
need to be implemented for each backend?

@ 2020-03-25 22:09       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-03-25 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, Lars Ingebrigtsen

>>> I manually specify the name of the inbox like so:
>>>
>>> (nnimap "gnu"
>>>         ;; [...]
>>>         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>>>         (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
>>>         (nnimap-split-fancy (|
>>>                              ;; [...]
>>>                              ;; otherwise, leave mail in INBOX
>>>                              "INBOX")))
>>>
>>> Not sure if there's a better way.
>>
>> And does that work? I mean it doesn't remove the message and then read
>> add it or some such? I presume that splitting only happens over unread
>> messages, because I use "inbox infinite" -- so I get a lot of messages
>> there.
>
> Yeah it works fine for me, at least for nnimap, I'd imagine because of
> C-h v nnimap-unsplittable-articles RET, defaulting to '(%Deleted %Seen),
> meaning that messages marked as deleted or read should not be subject to
> splitting.  That said, I think an explicit "do nothing" rule would be
> nice indeed.

Ah, okay, thats good information.

* Re: gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-25 23:19           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-03-25 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, help-gnu-emacs

On 03/25/20 22:00 PM, Phillip Lord wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> I have no idea.  Lars, Eric, what do you think?
>>
>> The way splitting happens is that it happens inside the backend.  So the
>> splitting would have to be reorganised to happen in Gnus instead for
>> that to work.
>

> Ah, unfortunate. Could it just be as simple as returning a lambda
> instead of a group name? Although as you describe I guess this would
> need to be implemented for each backend?

Probably the split specs could just return a fully-qualified group name,
and the code could check if the group belonged to a separate backend and
behave differently. But you're right, as Lars notes that would have to
be done in each backend.

* Re: gnus nnml/nnimap-split-fancy
@ 2020-03-30 18:03   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-03-30 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to get either nnml or nnimap split across backends?
>>

> Not that I know of, but I too would love to be able to split across
> backends, e.g. from one nnimap backend to another, or from an nnimap
> backend to an nnfolder one perhaps.
>
> [...]
>

>> Finally, with nnimap splitting, the default group is "bogus". How I
>> specific "don't do anything with the message, but leave it where it
>> is"?
>>

> I manually specify the name of the inbox like so:
>
> (nnimap "gnu"
>         ;; [...]
>         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>         (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
>         (nnimap-split-fancy (|
>                              ;; [...]
>                              ;; otherwise, leave mail in INBOX
>                              "INBOX")))
>
> Not sure if there's a better way.

Not getting this to work.

Is there a way to see the server variables which have been set in this
way?

Phil