all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting input method automatically whenever text is to be entered.
@ 2021-04-20 15:10 max.brieiev
From: max.brieiev @ 2021-04-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am quite new Emacs user. I prefer to type text using Dvorak
layout. Each time I visit new buffer or interact with minibuffer I have
to press C-\, which is rather inconvenient. So I added the following to
my .emacs file:

(defun set-dvp-input-method (mode-hook)
  (add-hook mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (if (not (string= current-input-method "programmer-dvorak"))
                  (set-input-method "programmer-dvorak")))))

(mapc #'set-dvp-input-method
      '(text-mode-hook
        prog-mode-hook
        special-mode-hook
        minibuffer-setup-hook
        comint-mode-hook
        dired-mode
        info-mode-hook
        term-mode-hook
        Custom-mode-hook))

This works in most cases, however occasionally I still need to manually
switch to Dvorak input method with C-\ or add the major mode to the list
above, because too many major modes do not inherit from basic ones.

I wonder, is there a better way to automatically set input method
whenever my point is inside some editable area?

Basically what I want is to always enter text with Dvorak, however I am
too used to qwerty keybindings, so I don't want to change layout on OS
level.

There are also some more annoyances. In some minibuffer yes-no prompts I
have to press keys as they are located on qwerty layout, however in the
other seemingly same prompts the key needs to be pressed as on
Dvorak. Is there some way to fix this?

Thanks

* Re: Setting input method automatically whenever text is to be entered.
@ 2021-04-20 15:24 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-20 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

max.brieiev wrote:

> I am quite new Emacs user. I prefer to type text using
> Dvorak layout. Each time I visit new buffer or interact with
> minibuffer I have to press C-\, which is rather
> inconvenient. So I added the following to my .emacs file:
>
> (defun set-dvp-input-method (mode-hook)
>   (add-hook mode-hook
>             (lambda ()
>               (if (not (string= current-input-method "programmer-dvorak"))
>                   (set-input-method "programmer-dvorak")))))

Okay, you need to set the keyboard layout in Emacs?

Did you check out `default-input-method'?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Setting input method automatically whenever text is to be entered.
@ 2021-04-20 15:39   ` max.brieiev
From: max.brieiev @ 2021-04-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Okay, you need to set the keyboard layout in Emacs?
>
> Did you check out `default-input-method'?

Yes, I have set this through customize interface. However, each time I
want to enter text I need to press C-\ to activate it. So the idea was
to use mode-hooks to set it automatically, which kind of works, but not
always.

* Re: Setting input method automatically whenever text is to be entered.
@ 2021-04-23 15:21 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2021-04-23 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

max.brieiev@gmail.com (2021-04-20 18:10 +0300) wrote:

> Hi

Hello!

> I am quite new Emacs user. I prefer to type text using Dvorak
> layout. Each time I visit new buffer or interact with minibuffer I have
> to press C-\, which is rather inconvenient. So I added the following to
> my .emacs file:
>
> (defun set-dvp-input-method (mode-hook)
>   (add-hook mode-hook
>             (lambda ()
>               (if (not (string= current-input-method "programmer-dvorak"))
>                   (set-input-method "programmer-dvorak")))))
>
> (mapc #'set-dvp-input-method
>       '(text-mode-hook
>         prog-mode-hook
>         special-mode-hook
>         minibuffer-setup-hook
>         comint-mode-hook
>         dired-mode
>         info-mode-hook
>         term-mode-hook
>         Custom-mode-hook))
[...]
> There are also some more annoyances. In some minibuffer yes-no prompts I
> have to press keys as they are located on qwerty layout, however in the
> other seemingly same prompts the key needs to be pressed as on
> Dvorak. Is there some way to fix this?

You can use `after-change-major-mode-hook' instead of specifying all
those mode-hooks manually.

BTW, I also use Dvorak ;-)

--
Alex

* Re: Setting input method automatically whenever text is to be entered.
@ 2021-04-27 14:22   ` max.brieiev
From: max.brieiev @ 2021-04-27 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> You can use `after-change-major-mode-hook' instead of specifying all
> those mode-hooks manually.
>
> BTW, I also use Dvorak ;-)

Thanks. This works great.

By the way, do you use (ansi-)term? When `term-mode` is in char mode
input method settings are ignored. Is there a workaround for this?

AFAIU in char mode all input is sent directly to the underlying shell
process, ignoring any key translations.

But maybe this can be fixed by some clever usage of hooks like
‘term-input-filter-functions’ or ‘term-input-sender’?

* Re: Setting input method automatically whenever text is to be entered.
@ 2021-05-07 14:20     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2021-05-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

max.brieiev@gmail.com (2021-04-27 17:22 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You can use `after-change-major-mode-hook' instead of specifying all
>> those mode-hooks manually.
>>
>> BTW, I also use Dvorak ;-)
>
> Thanks. This works great.
>
> By the way, do you use (ansi-)term?

No, I use "M-x shell", so...

> When `term-mode` is in char mode
> input method settings are ignored. Is there a workaround for this?
>
> AFAIU in char mode all input is sent directly to the underlying shell
> process, ignoring any key translations.
>
> But maybe this can be fixed by some clever usage of hooks like
> ‘term-input-filter-functions’ or ‘term-input-sender’?

... I don't know, sorry :-(

--
Alex